Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Eaton Posi rebuild

This needs to be a sticky.

This is the guy that tought me how to build the Eaton Posi back in the '80s. This should be helpfull to many people.

This also works on the 8.5 Traction Lock, 9 inch, 8.8 and 7.5 Ford Trac Lock and sevral other differentials that use flat clutches. I go ahead and install the preload springs. Tom doesn't use preload springs. This is a choice that you will have to make on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Eaton Posi rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post

This needs to be a sticky.
Done

Boldly going nowhere
72 Concours Wagon More go, more whoa and lots of creature comforts
64 Nova 400 series
TC Gold member #42
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sam

Thanks for this post, I thought this was a lot more difficult, Toms instruction takes away all the mystery. You said preload springs were a personal choice could you elaborate on the pro-cons? I'm having some issues with my unit and this exerscise is in the near future.

65'el camino 360 10.5/1 750DP holly 7501 air gap M21 4sp 3:73 black on black
Never sell your stuff.....takes 30yrs to get it back.
<a href="http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/a...5elcamino2.jpg" target=
Can-Am #305
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for the post. Great information.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 3:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The preload springs kind of help get the lock up started. As long as the clutches are tight then the springs are not needed much. Eaton has 200, 400 and 800 pound springs for different applictaions. The springs apply constant pressure on the clutches, so they will wear more when used on the street. If you do a lot of water burnouts then the 800 pound springs can help keep both wheels spinning while doing the burnout. I see a lot of cars with a posi, trac lock or other limited slip differentials that will start out spinning both wheels in the water and then one wheel will slow down and stop spinning. The heavier springs can help keep this from happening. If a car is used for drag racing then the clutches will need regular maintanance just like the valve springs, rod bearings and other parts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 4:44 PM
Levon

Hi Freddie.
Do you think you can get another segment added showing how to do the springs? That would be GREAT.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed.
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 7:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I'll see if I can do something myself. I doubt that Tom would do it because he doesn't use springs. It's pretty easy to install the 200 and 400 pound springs, but the 800 pound springs are a pain. My memory isn't very good, so I might forget to do this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 7:38 PM
Levon

That would be great. Would you like a reminder ;-)

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed.
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 10:22 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

>>> "My memory isn't very good, so I might forget to do this."

Transalation: bug me mercilessly till I do it.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
>>> "My memory isn't very good, so I might forget to do this."

Transalation: bug me mercilessly till I do it.
No that is our wives job
haughty likes this.

Boldly going nowhere
72 Concours Wagon More go, more whoa and lots of creature comforts
64 Nova 400 series
TC Gold member #42
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daniel

Thanks for this video, I just had an issue with a posi unit and this video answered my question!

1970 Chevelle - Best time at the WCCG 12.749 @ 108.606, 2.011 60' on street tires!

427 BBC, 215 heads, 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work, 60212 Lunati Hyd Roller, 3310 Holley 750, Performer RPM intake, TH350 with shift kit, 3.55 gears 12 bolt posi, Pypes 3 inch kit, it's alive... again!!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 6:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sergio

Great videos!

Sergio
1969 SS396
MJ 467/M20/3.55
TC #5509
Just moved to San Diego!!!
Pics and Vids
Car of the Month Article

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

If you want a really tight setup you can set the clutches at 0 as long as you use the GM differential lube. This is how I set mine up and the only clicking I get is when I back my car out of my garage (It's at a steep angle and I'm turning at the same time).

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old May 21st, 13, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
rex

Set mine up as tight as i could get then put in 400lb springs.works like a champ!works like it should.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

I just posted links to Tom's tutorials on Aug 27th in my build thread because I happen to be rebuilding my posi carrier a few weeks ago.

There is more than one way to secure the axel. Having the axel in the vise vertically would not work without a customized axel so I laid the entire assembly out on my bench then locked the axel into my vise using the pipe vise on the lower part of the vise. This allowed me to adjust the preload by using different thickness shims then spinning the carrier to check for proper preload. I ended up using a .040" and .0425" thickness shims. Picture in the link following link.

I kept the ring gear attached for this part so I had more leverage to spin it as I had no ring gear wrench like Tom was using. You must remove the ring gear in order to install the spring pack. There is no room for the C-clamp otherwise.

65 Chevelle 2dr. post car build thread AKA The Chevelle from hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Hi Freddie.
Do you think you can get another segment added showing how to do the springs? That would be GREAT.
I have a post showing how to install the spring pack into the carrier using a big C-clamp and some 1" wide steel bar stock. In my case I'm using stainless bar stock and a piece of hardwood to hold down the inside part of the spring pack while being compressed.

The little bolts you see in the picture are mandatory to hold the outside part of the compression plates together, it also keeps things from flying apart. I'm installing the yellow springs here but you can't see the yellow paint because it's only on one side of the springs.

First you tighten down the C-clamp about in the middle and put the small bolts into the outside holes of the spring plates. Once the bolts are in you need a couple pieces of 1/8" thick steel bar stock because you can't get a clamp far enough to the inside of the plate in order to make it fit into the carrier. The bar stock allows you to apply leverage to the inside part of the spring pack so that it can be inserted into the carrier. The picture is worth a thousand words.
65 Chevelle 2dr. post car build thread AKA The Chevelle from hell.

In case anyone is interested. Tom is now working in the retail end of the business. I found this out by calling Tom's old listed phone number. A nice lady answered the phone but it's now a new business for selling differential parts. Very nice to deal with and overnight delivery in Cali. Use the link below for the new thegearshop business. This place actually sells single differential parts without having to purchase entire kits. They had one of Tom's hardened spider gear shafts which I purchased because mine was worn pretty badly, it's no wonder Tom has a hardened version.
http://www.thegearshop.net/store/cart.php

This is the best link I could find for setting pinion depth and backlash.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/d...install_guide/

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .560/.560" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/56-pro-touring/613546-65-chevelle-2dr-post-car-build-thread-aka-chevelle-hell.html

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Sep 17th, 14 at 4:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.