Turbo 400 kickdown switch - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 4:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Posts: 136
Turbo 400 kickdown switch

My transmission doesnt downshifting when I hit the gas. I tested the switch on the gas peddle and I have 12 volts on the terminal closest to the firewall. When I manually move the switch the other terminal goes from 0 volts to 12v then tested the feed at the transmission orange wire has 12 volts with the black (ground?) at 0 volts. When I start the car the switch at the pedel doesnt move, it stays at the last location. Should it "slide" up to the pedlal? Need a new kickdown switch? I bought the switch new last year and just installed so maybe its defective. I beleive the vacuum is only for upshifting that works fine. Car is a 71 chevelle with a 402, thanks in advance.
dc7432 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 8:15 PM
Team Member
carlo
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: hudson valley,ny
Posts: 1,863
Garage
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Dale
look at the pedal when your pushing down on it, it should be making contact with the switch. when you floor it should make contact & slide the switch to engage it. once your pedal slides the switch then it will send a signal to engage. there's not a lot of adjustment for the pedal to switch contact. what I did with mine is I slid a piece of 3/8 gas line over that barrel part of the switch. this made the contact area thicker for the pedal to move the switch. works like a charm. hope I explained it good enough.got too have passing gear hooked up unless you go with a quick silver floor shifter, which I just did. good luck. hmardown

72 Elky
MJ 467
Turbo 400
12 Bolt
3.42:1 Posi
hmardown is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Posts: 136
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Thanks Carol, so after i adjust drive one time the switch is "stuck" at the last position so it doesnt go back to the inital position. I will try the hose trick as well, thanks.
dc7432 is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 12:46 AM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,568
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7432 View Post
My transmission doesnt downshifting when I hit the gas. I tested the switch on the gas peddle and I have 12 volts on the terminal closest to the firewall. When I manually move the switch the other terminal goes from 0 volts to 12v then tested the feed at the transmission orange wire has 12 volts with the black (ground?) at 0 volts. When I start the car the switch at the pedel doesnt move, it stays at the last location. Should it "slide" up to the pedlal? Need a new kickdown switch? I bought the switch new last year and just installed so maybe its defective. I beleive the vacuum is only for upshifting that works fine. Car is a 71 chevelle with a 402, thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
I slid a piece of 3/8 gas line over that barrel part of the switch. this made the contact area thicker for the pedal to move the switch.
For the '70 and newer switch, the switch has to be moved fully forward, then it self-adjusts the first time you put the pedal to the carpet. There is no need to put hose over the actuator peg.
68 Kickdown Switch
Especially post 16



SOMEDAY I'll stumble across a '68--'69 switch to see how they're different in terms of adjustment from the newer version.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Schurkey is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 1:26 PM
Team Member
carlo
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: hudson valley,ny
Posts: 1,863
Garage
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7432 View Post
Thanks Carol, so after i adjust drive one time the switch is "stuck" at the last position so it doesnt go back to the inital position. I will try the hose trick as well, thanks.
who's carol ? your welcome, Carlo

72 Elky
MJ 467
Turbo 400
12 Bolt
3.42:1 Posi
hmardown is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 8:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Posts: 136
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Thanks Carlo,

Havent fixed the problem yet, I bought a new switch at the pedal and read you can test the kickdown solenoid by putting 12v to the top terminal and grounding to the frame. Another post didnt recommend this. Has anyone tested the switch? I'm getting 12v on the top and 0 on the bottom. If its bad I assume I need to drop the pan? thanks.
dc7432 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 12, 1:09 AM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,568
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7432 View Post
Thanks Carlo,

Havent fixed the problem yet, I bought a new switch at the pedal and read you can test the kickdown solenoid by putting 12v to the top terminal and grounding to the frame. Another post didnt recommend this. Has anyone tested the switch? I'm getting 12v on the top and 0 on the bottom. If its bad I assume I need to drop the pan? thanks.
Switch, or solenoid? Switch is at the gas pedal, solenoid is on the valve body, requires pan removal.

A photo of how you're doing this test would be nice.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Schurkey is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Posts: 136
Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Im talking about the Solenoid on the tranny, looking on how to test. Thanks again
dc7432 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome