67 Z bars and clutch rods, OEM and repop - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 4:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

67 Z bars and clutch rods, OEM and repop

In '67 there were two versions of both BB & SB Z bars. There was a mid-year change on both. The 66 and very early 67 Z bars had a straight upper arm, while the later ones (2nd Design GM 3921040) had a curved upper arm. This meant there could have been a mid year change for the upper push rods which I can not confirm. This was true for the small blocks & the big blocks. See the attached Photos of the photos of the late 67 Z Bars

The 67 Z Bar 2nd Design (GM 3921040) has the upper curved arm thats has the same bend (dog leg) as a 68 Z Bar / bellcrank. It makes the clutch linkage geometry align perfectly. (the only difference between the early 67 and the late 67 is the upper arm which has a Bend (dog leg) which aligns better with the pedal rod and eliminates side loading on the bellcrank.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Z Bar 2nd Design A.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	45175   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Z Bar 2nd DesignB.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	45176   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Z Bar 2nd DesignC.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	45177  

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Sep 17th, 11 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 4:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Re: 67 Z Bars 396

The 66- Early 67 Z Bar Design had a straight upper arm. See Photo. Also see Photo of 67 Z Bar second Design with offset upper arm installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66-Early 67 Z Bar.jpg
Views:	1622
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	45179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z Bar 2nd Design with ClutchSpringTab.jpg
Views:	6628
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	45180  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 4:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

The 1966 Clutch Pedal Rod had a bend near the center of the rod. See Photo of 66 Clutch Rod with 66 Clutch Pedals. The 1967 Clutch Pedal Rod had a bend in the rod farther down and closer to the firewall. See Photo of 67 Clutch Rod with 67 Clutch Pedals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A Rod ClutchZbar1966 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45181   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Rod 67ChevelleClutch  Pedal Linkage.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	45182  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 5:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

The After Market Clutch Rods are not properly machined and have wide 90 degree bends which interfere with the clutch pedal operation. The Original Clutch Rods have a machined shoulder that is very close to the 90 degree end of the rod where the rod attaches to the pedal and the upper Z Bar rod. See Photo of 66 Original Clutch Rod with tight 90 ends and compare with photo After Market Clutch Rods which causes interference at interior attachment point because the After Market Rod has wide 90 ends not machined close to the 90 degree bend in Clutch Rod and causes the bend in the rod to rub against the 67 Clutch Pedal Housing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A Rod 1966 Chevelle ClutchRod.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	45183   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Market Clutch Rods Not Machined Properly at Shoulder Causes interderence at ClutchPedal.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	45184  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 5:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

A Photo of the 67 Clutch Pedals shows the wide bend in the After Market Clutch Rod that hits and interferes with the Frame of the Clutch Pedal Assembly which causes interference and binding. Also a Photo of an Original Clutch Rod End that is properly machined with the tight 90 degree end which gives more clearance away from the Clutch Pedal Frame and allows a smoother operation to disengage the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 Clutch Pedals with After Market Bend in Rod Hitting Frame of Clutch Pedal.jpg
Views:	8273
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	45185   Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalFactory RodEnd.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	45186  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 5:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

I had made a earlier mistake in this Post about the 1966 clutch rod having a bend in the middle of the clutch rod and the 1967 clutch rod having a bend farther down and closer to the firewall. I have both rods in front of me and the bends are both the same, but there is a difference in the length of the 1966 when compared to the 1967 clutch rod. The 1966 clutch rod is 13" long center to center where it attaches to the Z bar and the clutch pedal. The 1967 clutch rod is 13 3/8" long center to center where it attaches to the Z bar and the clutch pedal which is due to the new 1967 Chevelle Shock absorbing steering column and the one year design in the frame that holds the clutch and brake pedals and steering column.

Because the aftermarket Clutch Rods are improperly machined and an original rod can not be found, there are Companies that makes a Heim Clutch rod Setup for the 67-81 Camaro (7010-125) with a Bend in the middle of the Rod which I believe will work better than the straight Chevelle rod setup. A sample of the 67-81 Camaro Rod is found at this internet address:
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....010%2DFBIRD&Tp=

The Heim Rod setup for the Chevelle is straight and has no bend in the center of the rod. A sample of the 66-67 Rod Setup is found at this internet address: http://speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=1

The Hiem ends do offer the necessary clearance (tight bend) which allows smooth clutch operation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67-81Camaro Heim Clutch Linkage.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	45187   Click image for larger version

Name:	66-67 Chevelle Heim Clutch linakage.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	45188  

Last edited by Gary 396; Sep 16th, 11 at 5:39 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 7:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Here are 2 Internet Articles for the Heim Clutch Rod Installation for 66 - 67 Chevelles. This first one is found at:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...its/index.html

And a second Article is found at: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ild/index.html

Also a Photo of a Heim Clutch Rod Installation on a 1966 Chevelle that shows the clearance between Heim end and Clutch Pedal Frame. Note that the Clutch Rod is not in a fully closed position in relation to upper Clutch Pedal Rubber stop where the 90 degree Clutch Rod clearance will be tighter when the clutch pedal rests on the Rubber Clutch Pedal Stop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heim Rod Install 1966 Chevelle.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	45189  

Last edited by Gary 396; Sep 16th, 11 at 8:13 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 8:48 AM
Tech Team
Jon

I guess I now know why my aftermarket clutch rod doesn't fit right. I had to modify the steering column bracket for the rod to work. Tkanks for the info.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jerry

Gary appreciate the information.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 5:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Dear Jerry, Thanks for the encouragement. Gary 396
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 8:23 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Thanks for taking time to post and take the pics. Mind if I edit the title a little?

Stuck.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Tom the more the merrier. Go for it. Gary 396
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 5th, 12, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Re: 67 Z bars and clutch rods, OEM and repop

Here is a Photo of an original 1966 to early 1967 Chevelle Z Bar being GM Part Number 3872895. If you look closely, you will notice the slight bend in the Z Bar arm about 1" inch before the (hole) at the tip of this Z Bar arm where the clutch rod connects to the bell housing fork. This slight bend in both the early and late design allows for better rod alignment. The aftermarket Chevelle Z Bars do not have this slight bend. If you look at the first post photo of the later design Zbar you can see the cease in the metal for this slight bend. Another way to improve alignment / clearance of the Chevelle Z Bar arm especially when you have headers on a 396 is to use a cresent wrench while the Zbar is hookedup (except disconnect the bellhousing rod from the clutch rod with the oil filter removed). Then tighten the cresent wrench down on the very end of the Zbar and move the Zbar arm to the position that bests clears your headers and the engine block. Do not over bend the clutch arm as you may break the welds on the arm. Also, Chevelles with headers that hit or rub the Lower Control Arms can be adjusted for more clearance by buying some heavy duty tie down straps and wrapping them around both headers (and positioned on the top and below the transmission) tightening them together which bend the headers inward and give you the required header clearance. If possible, leave these straps on over night. The Headers should move enough to give you an extra 1/4 to 1/2" inch clearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$GM3872895.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	52805  

Last edited by Gary 396; May 5th, 12 at 1:04 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 13, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

Gary now I know who out bidded me on that Z-bar.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 5:32 PM
Daniel

I have an auto Skylark that I am converting to a 6 speed manual. I'm about to pick up a set of Chevelle manual pedals. Is the mounting bracket for the brake pedal in an auto car the same as the mounting bracket for a manual car? The pedals don't seem to come with any bracketry. I'm planning on using these repops:

http://www.ecklerschevelle.com/cheve...1968-1972.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.