700R4 for a 1970 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 09, 4:52 PM Thread Starter

700R4 for a 1970 Chevelle

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a used 700R4 out of a 1986 Iroc-z. What things should I look for when buying a used transmission? Any lessons learned from anyone that has done this before?

I believe the only necessary mods are moving the cross member and a different size drive shaft. Other than that a direct bolt on to the bell housing?
1986 iroc-z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 09, 5:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

Re: 700R4 for a 1970 Chevelle

always heard to buy one from a 91-up but am sure if you have a quality builder the '86 should be no problem. mine came from a '91 camaro. may want to make sure and get a mechanical speedo drive tail housing (mine came from a truck sans the camaro bosses) for it if it is going in an old car. also get the male plug end from the camaro that plugs in to the trans if you can. that little bugger can be hard to find. I put one in my 67ss this past year and love it. so far it is living just fine behind my 600hp/627 ft-lb 496. I had a real good local builder that used some good parts. from memory - beast h/d sunshell, corvette servo, kevlar bands and stacked clutches. he also recommended a lokar tv kickdown. I use a pheonix trans carb geometry adapter on the 850 dp. you are correct - shorten driveshaft about 3" (measure first) and relocate the crossmember. for lockup I use a dual switch brake light and run only one wire hot to the lockup solenoid thru the switch. I went to the monster transmission website for some great info before I began..I run 3.42 rear gear with 26" tall bfg tires = 70 mph = 2200 rpm...hope this helps...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 09, 6:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The '87 and later have 30 spline input shaft and the auxiliary valve body.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 09, 8:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Make sure to set the TV cable correctly if you want it to live, or you can do like I did and buy A constant pressure valve body from TCI.
Ron

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) M21
69 Malibu convertible
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

69 - Top down
69 Top up
new wheels
70 side
On Gearz
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Is that a unique input shaft? What number of splines are on the older 700R4s? Not sure if this is a deal breaker when looking for 700R4s?

Could this problem be fixed by a torque converter with a matching female spline shaft input?

I have an 80s 350 with an after market torque converter (not sure the specs on it).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing View Post
The '87 and later have 30 spline input shaft and the auxiliary valve body.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 1:03 AM
Tech Team
Jon

Older 700R4's have a 27 spline input shaft. If you change converter you have to get the correct one otherwise the one that comes out of the Iroc-z will work.

66 Chevelle-Web Page
Parts For Sale
Team Chevelle #5380
ACES #8896
09 Corvette
NCM#6320 (10 year member)
2010 Honda Crosstour
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 09, 2:27 AM
Tech Team

With the 700r4 the later the better. Lots of improvements along the way. Early ones can upgraded but are usually not worth the effort. Go with at least a 88' or later. Get a good builder to go through it and it will last for a while.

1971 Chevelle 4dr sedan, L76 with Livernois Stage 1 cam, Edelbrock headers, T56 Magnum transmission, C6 front brakes. GTO seats front and back 600,000 plus miles.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...0at%20work.jpg

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/56-pro-touring/331903-l76-swap-into-71-chevelle.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.