66 12 bolt 308 posi gear change - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
joe

66 12 bolt 308 posi gear change

hi guys heres what i have and i dont know much about these so please chime in lol a 1966 12 bolt posi with 308 gears i pulled rearend out of a 1970 ss elike so i was surpried about the year of rearend but i guess same thing except 1 inch shorter well i put it in a 68 chevelle i am building 68 402 car and i want to change gears in this to a 373 gearing can anyone tell me what i need and how hard it is to do best place for parts thanks for any help joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 1:42 AM
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hot66ss
Re: 66 12 bolt 308 posi gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespc37 View Post
hi guys heres what i have and i dont know much about these so please chime in lol a 1966 12 bolt posi with 308 gears i pulled rearend out of a 1970 ss elike so i was surpried about the year of rearend but i guess same thing except 1 inch shorter well i put it in a 68 chevelle i am building 68 402 car and i want to change gears in this to a 373 gearing can anyone tell me what i need and how hard it is to do best place for parts thanks for any help joe

If you have never done it before I would suggest paying someone to do the labor for you, maybe see if you can get someone to teach you so next time around you can do it yourself!

As far as the parts go I would recommend going with a high quality gear such as Motive (Made in Italy) or US Gear (made in the USA) you will need a good quality install kit and I suggest getting a "Master kit" and changing out all the small hard parts as long as you have the rear end apart. Timken and Koyo make a good product. As far as pricing goes give me a call (or PM) I can help you with whatever you decide and get you the best possible pricing.

Happy motoring,

Tom

Tom

21st Century Performance
(310) 425-8700

67 Velle- AFR headed 509/4L80 Pro-Touring.
70 Chevelle- Latest project
03 Mustang Cobra Terminator 512RWHP/498RWTQ
68 Vette, Documented 427/435hp Tri Power, 4 speed- Sold
70 SS LS6/M22 Documented, black/white stripes- Sold
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 7:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Contact Tom's Differentials www.tomsdifferentials for parts. He has the best installation kits and USA made parts.

You will need to know how to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash. You must know how to read the contact pattern so that you will know what adjustments need to be made to the pinion depth. The tolerance on pinion depth and backlash are +/- .001 inch, so this is a precision job. It requires MUCH patients. You must be willing to assemble and disassemble the rear end several times to get it right.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 5:50 PM
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hot66ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Contact Tom's Differentials www.tomsdifferentials for parts. He has the best installation kits and USA made parts.

You will need to know how to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash. You must know how to read the contact pattern so that you will know what adjustments need to be made to the pinion depth. The tolerance on pinion depth and backlash are +/- .001 inch, so this is a precision job. It requires MUCH patients. You must be willing to assemble and disassemble the rear end several times to get it right.
Hey Freddie,

Do you know who's install kit Tom's uses? I bet its probably a timken kit and the gears he uses are US Gear, posi's are eaton. I am a Tom's fan he does great work and sells great parts.

Tom

21st Century Performance
(310) 425-8700

67 Velle- AFR headed 509/4L80 Pro-Touring.
70 Chevelle- Latest project
03 Mustang Cobra Terminator 512RWHP/498RWTQ
68 Vette, Documented 427/435hp Tri Power, 4 speed- Sold
70 SS LS6/M22 Documented, black/white stripes- Sold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 8:51 PM
Tech Team
Karl

be careful if you use diff works in corona ca. they have a nice office up front but out back unorganized. they never returned my shock bolts, diff cover bolts, cover gasket or bumpstops. these parts arent cheap to replace.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I think Tom uses Dewco kits. They have Timken berings and the original Super Shim set. DTS uses the same kits. There are some coppies of the super shims that are not quite as good. Yukon is one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.