4L60E Drum Condition Question? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

4L60E Drum Condition Question?

Hello All,
I am rebuilding the 4L60E that I transplanted into a 66 El Camino and the reverse input drum is scarred up due to the band burning up. In A prior post I asked the question "can you use a early 700R4 (pre aux valve body) reverse input drum in the 4L60E? If so what is the stack up waves and clearances? any help would be great" with no responce, so now I have a new question, how bad can the drum surface be, and can it be turned on a lathe?

Thanks,
Stan

65 CHEVELLE
65 EL CAMINO
46 CHEVY 1/2 ton
37 CHEVY COUPE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 3:35 PM
Tech Team

Cool Re: 4L60E Drum Condition Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan65 View Post
Hello All,
I am rebuilding the 4L60E that I transplanted into a 66 El Camino and the reverse input drum is scarred up due to the band burning up. In A prior post I asked the question "can you use a early 700R4 (pre aux valve body) reverse input drum in the 4L60E? If so what is the stack up waves and clearances? any help would be great" with no responce, so now I have a new question, how bad can the drum surface be, and can it be turned on a lathe?

Thanks,
Stan
yes the early drum will fit a L60E trans. Clutch pack clearance is set the same as the late design. Waved plate in early drum usually goes against the apply piston. Early friction plates are thicker than late friction design.

Surface must be flat on the area that the band applies to.

Turning this drum in a lathe is difficult. It tends to chatter and does not cut well. Companies that refurbish these drums usually grind them flat. This makes the metal thinner and more prone to dish again. I suggest a new drum in a performance application.

Tony....

Yelsorc is Crosley backwards.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 4:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 4L60E Drum Condition Question?

Yelsorc,
Thanks for the reply, but now I have another question, the wave is it really waved or is it beveled? and when you say set the clearance the same as the late, do you mean late as in 4L60E or small hole drum? also is the stack up: Piston-Wave-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Pressure plate?
Thanks,
Stan

65 CHEVELLE
65 EL CAMINO
46 CHEVY 1/2 ton
37 CHEVY COUPE
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ttt

65 CHEVELLE
65 EL CAMINO
46 CHEVY 1/2 ton
37 CHEVY COUPE
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 9:06 PM
Tech Team

Cool Re: 4L60E Drum Condition Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan65 View Post
Yelsorc,
Thanks for the reply, but now I have another question, the wave is it really waved or is it beveled? and when you say set the clearance the same as the late, do you mean late as in 4L60E or small hole drum? also is the stack up: Piston-Wave-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Pressure plate?
Thanks,
Stan

early drum with steel apply piston use the waved plate only. Usually against the apply piston. Waved plate against the piston then a friction against the waved plate. See how your clearance sets up. 2 steel plates against each other does not hurt any thing in this drum.

The later aluminum apply piston usually uses the beveled plate against the piston. Beveled plate must be against the aluminum piston. Do NOT install a flat steel plate against the aluminum drum first. It was learned that a flat steel plate could 'stick' to the aluminum apply piston blocking the bleed off hole.... then oil could build up behind the apply piston and partially apply the clutch pack and burn the frictions.

Beveled plate , the center of this plate is "UP" as it installs against the aluminum apply piston

With a small or large ( square) feed hole for the drum with the aluminum piston.... piston has a bleed off hole in it. This hole should be down sized. You can use a round end type punch and dimple the area around this bleed hole to close it down slightly. It does not take much to reduce the size.

Clearance is the same on either drum with 4 friction plates... .040 to .060 is fine.

Tony....

Yelsorc is Crosley backwards.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 07, 1:14 PM
Tech Team
Jared

Send a message via Yahoo to JarTar74

I dont mean to change the subject, but I am looking for a trany to put in my 72 chevelle behind a 383 stroker. Did you have any problems putting the 4L60E in your 66?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 07, 8:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

JarTar74,
I used a throttle body 350 all stock with the full computer and harness so the swap was pretty easy as far as swaps go. I don't know about the aftermarket computers to control the trans stand alone.

Thanks,
Stan

65 CHEVELLE
65 EL CAMINO
46 CHEVY 1/2 ton
37 CHEVY COUPE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 07, 9:32 PM
Tech Team
Jared

Send a message via Yahoo to JarTar74

Thanks Stan, I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do. I want an overdrive, just now sure what trany to go with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 07, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via Yahoo to clean7t

I love the 700-R4 behind my 406. have everything figured out finally and wouldn't trade it.

70 Chevelle 406/700R4
69 Camaro SS
71 Nomad Wagon 250 ci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.