Team Chevelle banner

Lower Radiator Hose.... argh.

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  haughty 
#1 ·
I'm running a short water pump with a 1.75 inch inlet on my 1969 Chevelle with a 396 in it. The radiator has a 1.5 inch inlet. I just cant seem to find the right molded hose. I know I can run a flex hose and I 'might' have to. Anyone have any gates numbers that I can reference?

Thank you.

#2 ·
David i used a NAPA hose part number 7261 on my 454. Water pump end is 1.69", a tight fit but went on okay. The radiator end is 1.56" and the shape fit the car well.

Reactions: dmg1029
#7 ·
I have a short water pump. It's an aftermarket aluminum pump and the inlet is 2 inches. I had this trouble last summer, but the hose that is on there was still usable. I have every other hose replaced so its time for this PITA hose. Looking at the numbers, it was made in 1990 and a NAPA hose. I'm heading to NAPA this morning as they have a few for me to look at. The only flex hose that they have with a 2 inch to 1.5 inch is 22 inches long. Since my short pump sits a bit back, I might be able to use it. I really don't like flex hoses, but it might be my last resort.

Pics below on the old hose.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Looks like it will work! They had to order it so I'll know Tuesday. I did find a 7947 hose that will work on the big end, but I would have to add a reducer from 1.75 to 1.50 for the radiator end. The gates reducer looks like it would work fine, but rather not use if I don't have to..

Thanks so much.

#11 ·
Well now, we won't mention the F word here. It did fit after trimming. My only concern is that it is 1.5 inches diameter and steps up to 2 inches at the pump. I hope this does not cause overheating issues or pump issues. That is the inlet to the pump so I hope there is no hose collapse... I did run it to temp a few times and everything looks good.

On the good side, this hose is only $12.

Thank you.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have always gotten lucky with the proper dimensions, a bent piece of TIG rod and some time spent in several local parts outlets hose rooms. Aftermarket radiators, water pumps, serpentine belt drives and intake manifolds don't always play nice together. Over the years I have always kept a catalog of combo's and part numbers/manufacturers that fit right.

#14 ·
I used the Napa F hose. Works just fine although it does jump when she sees a mustang...not sure why, and she gets downright snarl when she sees a economize van...weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.