Team Chevelle banner

'68 AC Vacuum Canister - Ball or Coffee Can? Which is original?

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Ark68SS 
#1 ·
I have seen both the round ball type (about 3.5" diameter) and the coffee can type canisters that are used for the AC vacuum on '68's.

This is the vacuum canister that sits on top of the evaporator housing in the engine compartment.

Which style is correct from the factory? My '68 el Camino (built 12C, 3rd week of December 1967) has the round ball type installed on it now, but I think for '68's that it should have the coffee can style?

#4 ·
My original '68 Caprice has the bean can style on it.

#6 ·
That's what I thought, so the coffee can style is correct for the '68...

Thanks for confirming! :)

#12 ·
Well, not sure what happened to Kevin (Heckler), but I thought I had found a "correct" replacement (coffee can style) to my ball type, but lost communication with him, so I moved on and bought one on eBay....looks correct.....see what the deal is when I get it.

#16 ·
Yup...looks like the coffee can I just bought, how long is that one? Mine is about 4.5" long...

BTW, any chance you have a better picture of the bottom connection on the part that comes out of the evaporator?

I have everything for mine at this point except the hose connector that goes on the bottom of the evaporator? Top side I have a rebuilt POA valve, for the '68's all the hose connections were NOT crimped, so the threaded part of the temp valve that comes out, not sure what that hose connector looks like? I need one of those, then have to get the hoses....

#18 ·
Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough, the connector in your picture where the orange cover is, what hose connector goes there? I know where it goes from there (output of the thermostat), just looking for that hose connector? '68's did not have crimp ends on the hoses, so it needs that end to connect the hose to, all I have on that are threads coming out of the thermostat.

#19 ·
A straight barbed fitting goes on the expansion valve, a #6 (I think) hose is attached to the fitting. The hose goes to a 90 degree barbed fitting on the outlet of the receiver/drier.
Look on page C60, D4 of the assembly manual for drawings of the hoses, fittings, and routing.
BillL

#20 ·
I got the hose routing and connections, just needed a picture of what the connector coming out of the fitting looks like....

Thanks! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.