Team Chevelle banner

vintage underdash AC photos needed

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
so, im having an internal debate with myself. I have an operable late 60's underdash add on AC unit sitting on my shelf.

I have a 64 el camino at the body shop getting painted black.

I live in the south. AC is not optional.

anyway, I swear that some time back I saw a thread here of all the guys that had the under dash units mounted. some looked to be dealer add ons, some sears, some Montgomery wards, some reporoduction vintage air units.

I cant find that thread.

I tried, before teardown, holding the AC unit up to the bottom of my dash to see what I thought of the look, but never really could get a feel for it.

so im asking, if no one can find the thread, so post pictures of a mounted underdash unit in a put together 64-67 chevelle.

thanks for any help guys. thius should help me determine if in going to run this, or build a vintage air to factory dash vent hybrid setup.

im hoping I like the looks of this. its much cheaper, and already here.

Michael

See less See more
#3 ·
James, send me your e-mail co I can send some pics. PM's are not working for some reason.
aces1483@yahoo.com

#10 ·
Plan now is to install an 60's factory under dash unit. Repo's of similar units are now available. I have accumulated most of the factory AC and was going to cut my firewall and install the factory unit; but decided since my car did not come with air maybe I should get an original under dash unit and install that. More correct. So if I follow though with the under dash unit I will have some factory air components to sell. Like complete dash, vents, and controls, heater box, evaporator, blower box, etc.

I considered vintage air; but it just doesn't look right to me in the car although it would be much easier than converting a non AC car to an factory AC car.

Who knows, I may change my mind again.

#7 ·
I installed a Vintage Air unit in my non factory air 66, works great however be reminded you will have to give up your existing glove box, just no room for the little box they send. If anyone needs pictures I will be glad to send some. Also you will have to give up your factory front radio speaker, not trying to be negative here ok. If I can still figure out how to send them now a days. Note one other thing, make sure now one sells you a vacuum control panel, they did send one at first and I sent it back. It is what you would see in a street rod, I am using my original control panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.