Team Chevelle banner

WIFI problem

859 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Kim57 
#1 ·
Both of my lap tops have decided they don't want to connect to my router unless they are hard wired to it.
Both running windows 10.
They will connect if I reboot the router but drop the connection after a while and say they can't connect to the network.
Got a new router from my internet provider and the same problem exists.
worked fine until about a month ago when the problem was intermittent.
Now it's a pita.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kim

#3 ·
When connected all bars are lit.
They wont even connect if they're right next to my router so it's not the distance or other interference.
Both computers are a few years old.
I had to replace a phone that quit connecting everywhere.
Could these just be going bad?
Kim

#5 ·
Try to disable/enable your the wireless adapter in each of the computers. This is usually done through control panel / device manager / network adapters, then find the wireless adapter on the list, right click, select disable, then find it again, and enable. If this doesn't work, you may need to update the driver software.

#6 ·
I agree, it's most likely the drivers aren't up to date for Windows 10. Often times the manufacturer of the laptops will put out Op system specific drivers on their website under the support section.

#7 ·
You haven't said what brand of router it is. I know you said your ISP replaced it but I have seen A LOT of issues with Netgear, westel, and Linksys (don't be fooled by the cheap Cisco routers, they are Linksys as well) routers doing exactly what you are describing. I use everything from Ubuntu 5 through 16 as well as Windows 10, and a multitude of AOS (Apple) products at home and at work. (IT Manager for an electric company). I would get a better router than what the ISP provides, Even a Belkin or Engenius should have no issues with Windows 10 devices. I have Win 10 machines, brand new Samsung 4k smart TV's, phones etc all connecting just fine to 10-15 year old Belkin routers just fine. Even the computers in my garage are connected over a Belkin wireless bridge and have no issues. Just my $.02

#11 ·
All fixed.
Called my ISP tech department again and finally got someone who was able to configure my router to be compatible with my computers.
The updated security code (WPA2) was the problem. He set the router back to (WPA) and all is good.
When I update my computers they can update the router.
Thanks for the help guys.
Kim

#12 ·
That's really more of a work around than a fix.

WPA is not nearly as secure as WPA2 because the encryption is much better with WPA2.

WPA also won't allow you to use the full speed of the 802.11N only protocol which means your wireless connection will be slower. The N only setting will get you the best wireless speed but this assumes that nobody in your network needs to connect using the 802.11G protocol which hardly anyone uses anymore.

You would be better off installing the Windows 10 specific drivers for your wireless NIC if they available from the manufacturer of your laptop. After that you would need to change the routers setting back to WPA2 using the 802.11N Only setting if you want full wireless speed.

You can easily go into the firmware settings for your router by typing in the routers IP into the URL of your browser. The routers IP address is typically in the 192.168.x.x replacing the x's with 0's or 1's, depending on the router.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.