downloading patchs/fixes for XP - Chevelle Tech
Bug Hunt Computer related problems
Virus warnings - Technical help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 5:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Just thought I'd warn you. I downloaded Microsoft's security patches/fixes last night, on reboot it froze my computer. Thank god for the system restore feature in XP. My advice downnload one at a time and create a new restore point with each download. Took me awhile to figure out how to get the system to come up in safemode to do a restore. You press F8 while at the XP screen, similar to win98. Pete

------------------
Member# 1097
67 std camaro conv 327/210, 1978 annv vette, 1985 Z28 Camaro, 1970 Chevelle, challenged deer now in rehab, 00 grand prix,
www.chevelles.com/showroom/no1dc1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 11:19 AM
Tech Team

I'm curious -
It sounds like the patches were installed as they were being downloaded. Generally, I don't like that practice. I'd rather download and save to disk and then shut everything off, including my antivirus program, before I load new things in.

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Bob, Your right I ran them from the Microsoft site. I don't recall the option of saving to disk. Sounds like the way to go. Good suggestion about shutting down anti virus programs. I usually do that but for some reason didn't last night. Thanks Pete

------------------
Member# 1097
67 std camaro conv 327/210, 1978 annv vette, 1985 Z28 Camaro, 1970 Chevelle, challenged deer now in rehab, 00 grand prix,
www.chevelles.com/showroom/no1dc1.jpg
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I can't even get the update down load at all!!! All I get is "download incomplete"!

I think I will like XP once I get used to it but this update problem has frustrated me to the point that I have parked my new equipment($700 worth)till I can get the update. I had no problem registering it though.

I like the system restore feature too, especially since several of the W98 programs and drivers I tried to use caused problems.

Still can't get the correct driver for my modem or scanner installed. The modem will end up in this W98 Emachine and I'll get an appropriate one for the XP machine.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

Ole Paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.