Team Chevelle banner

Advice needed

930 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Wallydog 
#1 ·
I am completing an AAW update series wiring on a 68 SS car. I will need to check function and troubleshoot when Im finished. Is there a safer way than hooking up a large battery? Maybe a 12 volt 1 1/2 amp trickle charger? Will that work or is it too wimpy? Any advice is appreciated.

Wallydog

#2 ·
Outside of ringing out every wire in accordance with the schematic, no there is no other test. You can check each circuit individually by installing one fuse at a time. The trickle charger won't support most circuit loads.

#4 ·
Remove all the fuses from the panel. Then install a fuse holder between the positive battery terminal and the feed wire to the fuse panel (probably at the battery post wire to distribution point). Then install 5A fuse and turn on key. If there any shorts it will pop the fuse. If not, you can remove the fuse holder and begin installing one fuse at a time into the fuse block, check the circuit functions, them move to the next fuse.

#5 ·
Nice 65 Mike. Now, I need to let you know Im not a electric kinda guy so be patient if dumb questions are submitted here.
1. If there are no fuses then what circuit am I testing when I do the 5amp inline straight to the box? ignition switch?
Thanks again!

#13 ·
Wally, that first step with no fuses in the fuse block tests for any short you may have introduced anywhere in the wiring. It test more than just the link between the battery and its first connection. The assumption is that a mistake could be anywhere and this gross check will prevent what could be a flaming failure. It's a quick and easy check.

I forgot to mention that you should check the starter circuit early in your testing. If you followed the AAW instructions, the posts on the starter have tight wiring that could short if the nuts are not tightened carefully. It's worth taking another look up close just to confirm no cross contact on those post. I used a light and mirror because it's difficult on my car to see the top of the starter.

#14 ·
Thanks to you all who helped here. I did plug it in and no fires or lightning strikes. I have to get a new wiper motor and washer pump. Mine isnt moving. Besides I think the one that is there is for a 69. It has been painted over and wiring looks 50 yrs old. Fan blower isnt working either. Its only money right??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.