power master mini starter - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage
power master mini starter

hey all, would like to know if anybody is using the power master mini starter, and if so how is it working for you. im looking to maybe buying one , keep seeing were there is no heat sink problems ?
Rex Auftinn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:45 AM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage
Re: power master mini starter

i mean to say heat soak
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I have no problems with mine. The main power lug is a little short, but other than that, it works fine.
p40 likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS (Almost on the road, and it runs again, but in the body shop for a while.)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Comp Custom Magnum HR 306/303 Adv dur 246/248@ .050 .680/.647-112LSA-108 ICL (Crap!...ate the cam's distributor gear!)
NEW CAM: Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ (Dyno numbers with the Comp Magnum Cam)
T-56 Magnum trans with McLeod RST

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I have one that works great. I did have to replace the solenoid a while back, but it is an easy fix. Only thing I don't like is the metric nut on the solenoid battery connection. I wish it was a standard size, but it's not a deal breaker.
p40 likes this.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2004 Dodge Dakota
2008 Chrysler Sebring Vert
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 6:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

I have a Jegs brand mini starter, so not sure who makes it for them. However it's worked flawlessly for the past 6+ years.
HKalin likes this.

70 Chevelle 396, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I have one and its great, spins the BBC like it has no plugs installed.
p40 likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2006 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

the reason im asking is im having trouble getting the car to start after getting wormed up. iv been through 2 mini starters , they have heat wrap on both of them. ive checked the timing its good . i can hook batt charger up to it and it will crank over good. im wondering if this could be ground problem, iv got batt in the trunk , iv got braided ground strap from block to frame , ground strap from block to fire wall , the ground from batt is going to the trunk hinge, im lost, could use all the help i can get thanks in advance .
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 5:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Check your voltage at the starter, you may have a voltage drop due to the distance from battery to the starter. You also may have a weak battery.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 5:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Have my Battery in Trunk

Ground on the Back Frame

Good big Red + Cable to the Front

Never any problems starting the car

You do have to make sure where you Ground the Neg. Cable you go down to Shiny Metal for the Ground

Trunk Hinge would be the last place that I would ground anything

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev M&H MSS001 street Tires/dress 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
NEW Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720 1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Ideally you would run that ground wire from the battery in the trunk to the actual bolt that holds the starter on. Grounding through the frame at the back of the car doesn't work as well as you might think. My Power Master mini starter kicks ass.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/56-pro-touring/613546-65-chevelle-2dr-post-car-build-thread-aka-chevelle-hell.html
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 5:05 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

There is nothing wrong with using the body for the battery ground [ -ve ] if the batt is in the trunk. It will provide less voltage drop than running a battery cable from the battery to the eng block, unless the cable was really thick. Like 3/4"OD.

I see two possible problems with your current [ pardon the pun! ] set up, easily fixed.

[1] Battery cable connected to hinge. Hinge is probably just spot welded to body, so all the battery current is passing through a few spot welds. Not enough contact area. Connect the batt [ -ve ] cable to the trunk floor or wheel well.

[2] F'wall to block braided strap. It needs to be a piece of battery cable or something similar that has the same conductor cross sectional area as a batt cable.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 5:13 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Mini starter has become a generic term. What is important is the [a] type & [b] power rating. The best is the MSD Dyna Force, rated at 3.4 HP. It is the Hitachi design, sol above, motor below, better than the Denso design which has the motor above, sol below. I have used a number of the Chinese copies of the MSD with zero problems, I get them here for $125, probably made in the same factory as the MSD, except one goes into a plain box.......Mate bought a genuine MSD. Could see no difference side-by-side other than MSD sticker....

Take no notice of tq ratings, they are useless, designed to fool you.
The HP rating is what tells you how much 'oomph'it will generate & how easily it will spin that BB engine. Some starters are only 1.2 HP, the MSD nearly 3 times as much..
Guess which one will struggle...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 6:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I use this one for BBC applications. You can use all 3 mounting holes, I've seen broken outer mounting holes more times than I care to admit with hi comp engines. Also make sure you use good quality knurled starter bolts. Do not use metric or the ones supplied.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9526/reviews

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
There is nothing wrong with using the body for the battery ground [ -ve ] if the batt is in the trunk. It will provide less voltage drop than running a battery cable from the battery to the eng block, unless the cable was really thick. Like 3/4"OD.

I see two possible problems with your current [ pardon the pun! ] set up, easily fixed.

[1] Battery cable connected to hinge. Hinge is probably just spot welded to body, so all the battery current is passing through a few spot welds. Not enough contact area. Connect the batt [ -ve ] cable to the trunk floor or wheel well.

[2] F'wall to block braided strap. It needs to be a piece of battery cable or something similar that has the same conductor cross sectional area as a batt cable.
According to Ron Francis who has been in the business of making custom wiring sets for the last fifty years it is definitely incorrect to ground a battery mounted in the trunk to the frame at the back of the chassis. This fact is highlighted in ALL CAPS at the top of the instructions that came with the Ron Francis wiring kit. Maybe you know more than Ron Francis does but I kind of doubt that. They also recommended using 1/2" diameter copper.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613546
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 2:09 PM
Tech Team

Not trying to step on toes, but if your concern is to get a good ground at the starter, the voltage drop from a longer, appropriate sized, copper cable will be much less than the voltage drop through the steel frame based on the conductivity of the materials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.