Team Chevelle banner

Need Replacement Electrical Connectors

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  espos1111 
#1 ·
While updating my '69 SS I have replaced all the car's wiring except for the under dash harness, which looked pretty good...with one exception...the clutch pedal safety switch wires have been cut. The switch is still in place, with both wires hanging loose, and someone has wire-nutted the source (input/output) wires together, effectively by-passing the switch. Does anyone know of a source for original style plastic connectors and spade terminals?

#2 ·
There may be a reason the wires are twisted together. Sometimes their that way because the car has headers now and the lever that would have run up to the column is no longer their. AAW has a variety of connectors and terminals if you know which ones you need. It's page 100 in their main catalog.

Reactions: wihaltom
#3 ·
Thanks, Hank. My car does have headers and the rod connecting the shifter to the steering column lug is no longer there. But...the clutch pedal safety switch should still be electrically connected to the shifter safety switch on the column, and as long as that switch is rotated into the "engine start" (reverse gear) position, wouldn't the clutch safety switch be functional?

My interest is to return as much of this car to original as is practicable. I bought the car with headers and will probably keep them for the time being, but I have a thing against unconnected wires under the dash.

Oh, and thanks for the source for the connectors.

#4 ·
The clutch switch should be fully contained under the dash, inside the cab, no rod going to anything outside the cab. Most of these switches were bypassed because their actuators were damaged and would not stay in the hole on the clutch lever in the cab. My Safari van is like that, had to make a special holder to keep the push rod on the switch in the lever hole.

There used to be a parts book for GM electrical fittings, ends, connectors in print that EVERY dealer had. I do not know if it still exists, and if not, it might be in computer storage of some sort. Every dealer had these, and all the different branch vehicle makes were listed for what fit what.

#5 ·
Thanks Dave, for your response. I realize the clutch safety switch is "fully contained under the dash".

On '69 manual trans cars there was also a steering column switch actuated by a rod connecting the reverse arm on the shifter to an arm on the steering column (similar to an auto trans shifter arm) that, when the shifter was placed in reverse, allowed the engine to start.

Thanks for the tip on the GM catalogue.

#8 ·
If the reverse light connector is hooked up your back up lights would be on all the time unless the bulbs are removed. What you can do if you want to get them working is buy a switch like this that mounts to the stop bolt on Hurst Shifter mechanisms. You have to run new sections of wire from the column switch connector down to the Hurst Switch you put on the transmission.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-2480003/overview/

#10 ·
Exactly, that is what I would expect, that if all the wires were connected the back-up lights would be on all the time as the steering column arm is in the reverse position permanently.

I have seen those switches before. They are similar in function to the factory back up light switches used on '65-'68 4-SPD Chevelles.

Thanks, again.

Reactions: HKalin
#11 ·
BINGO to mwiggett, great link, the book IS on computer, and online, good.

Clutch switches are always under the dash, automatic safety switches can be either under the dash, or in the floor shifter nacelle , actuated from shifter lever, or, on the transmission itself.

Just posted this stuff because some of us know it, more maybe won't.

Just FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.