Team Chevelle banner

Third brake light?

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  65chevelle300post 
#1 ·
Just considering it after seeing this.... Anyone found ones that works great?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They are a great idea and had a valid point for being mandated to newer vehicles, but ( everyone knew one was coming) all the idiots who drive and text or just don't pay attention to anything outside of their own little world make them as useless as if they didn't even exist.

I have seen some kits in the suppliers catalogs that mount in the back on the package tray and all the updated wire harnesses have built in provisions so I guess there is a want for them. I guess if done where they looked like they belong and were factory installed they would be ok.

#5 ·
:cool: On a classic collector vehicle it would depend greatly on whether or not the lamp "fits in." There are Third Brake Lamps built into License Plate Frames (too low to be effective) as well as Trunk Emblems (think tri-five Chevys). The lamp needs to look "factory" or "stock," otherwise it'll look Bush League and seriously detract from an otherwise nice ride.

#8 ·
If you go with the kind that mount on the rear shelf and are visible through the back window, please try to find one that completely seals up against the glass. If it isn't tight and sealed up against the glass it will reflect inside the car (like the old J.C. Whitney universal type).

#10 ·
Thanks for all the good advice guys!! Went to the scrap yard and got some toys this afternoon. Not sure exactly what the plan is yet but I got some stuff to experiment with. The 2011 CTS is cool but I think the Audi one is brighter. :D I haven't messed with the really long one on the right yet... apparently it was rip up a Cadillac day. Took the taillights from the 2011 too, just because the LED's in those things are amazing.

That CTS third tail light from the dealer is 600.00 bucks!

Attachments

#11 ·
For junkyard pics, look for any GM sedan body style in production prior and after the 1985 brake light mandate. Most have the package tray mounted "ET style" brake light. Simple add on by GM to the earlier body for the later regulation.

Per Cam's suggestion (9post #8) trim the rubber glass shield to match your back glass. Paint to match your interior.

Grab the light plus the brake light switch from the same era GM car / truck. The switch will have the same threads and wire colors for your brake light, plus the wire terminal connection for the stop light.

#12 ·
I put led 1157's in my elcamino the flash three times when the brakes are applied and flash the same for the turn signals plus they are very bright

super bright leds .com

#13 ·
I'm already running the full spectrum boards, just want more :)

Attachments

#14 ·
Trunk lid is off. I've already cut and sectioned the back lip. building the recessed indention to house this light right in the trunk lid.

Totally kidding!!

Attachments

#15 ·
Audi for the win. I had to make a taller base from some ABS to get it in the correct position but I like it a lot. In the pics it's lit with a weak 9 volt and still shows through the limo tint well. I'll get a pic from the inside when I'm done.

Attachments

#18 ·
Took a little video for the heck of it. In case anyone was wondering, no special brake switch is needed. You can just tap into the white wire. Whatever switch you decide on, you are going to have to make a dedicated run regardless.

Attachments

#20 ·
You are correct as usual Joe. However, if I'm stuck on the side of the road somewhere, this is when I especially want all the lights flashing I can find. :)

Wont be the first rule I've broken ;)

#22 ·
After a few close calls with cars nearly rear ending my 64 El Camino while braking, I installed a slimline led 3rd brake light high in the back window. Makes a huge difference as it's super bright and now cars back off when I tap the brake. I also put led conversion tail-lights to compliment. I think the 3rd brake light is a must, in the modern world of distracted drivers with minimal skills. :yes:

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm not exactly sure, but I wouldn't be too concerned with it. It was NOT a direct bolt in. I had to build a small base out of ABS plastic to raise it up. I'm sure you could find something that would require much less modification. However, the LED's in this thing will damn near burn your retinas out! :)

Few pics of from the inside with the base. Looks like it belongs there to me. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#25 ·
I installed the LED third tail light from OPG and also installed the LED tail lights from OPG. Good luck on not seeing this when I hit the brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.