Team Chevelle banner

Wiper Switch 1968 Chevelle

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  DUTCH MAX HEADWORK 
#1 ·
Having trouble buying a wiper switch that works. Part # 0199344(hidden wipers ). Have purchased 3 , all from China that will not rotate. OPG , Ground Up, and Year One. Dan with Ground Up went to the warehouse and every one they had would not rotate. He's going to try and find one that works, I'm not holding my breath.
I ordered one from West Georgia Classics , got it yesterday...China made but it sort of turns...quality is poor. It turns very roughly and hard, I even lubed it !

Summit Racing has one from American Auto Wire , the photo looked good , so I ordered one. Anyone out there have any experience with AAW replacement switches or did I just buy another Chinese paperweight . Can the factory switch be rebuilt...I'm going to have two that I can scavenge parts from ?
Any lead on a company that has decent switches ? I'm not ready to scrap my fathom blue 68 just yet , daily driver since 1979, because of a lack of a rotary switch. We go back too far.
Gary

#3 ·
Bill,
At least once a week I will do a search on Ebay for that part , so far no NOS switches have surfaced just the parts that turn out to be Chinese.
I hadn't thought about narrowing my searches to just NOS switches but that looks like the only way I'm going to find one not Chinese. Thanks for the tip.

I just did a NOS search on Ebay , , turned up 0. But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, I may not be smart but I am persistent. I'm going to keep searching NOS until I find one. Appreciate the advice , sounds like you've been down this parts search road before.
Sincerely,
Gary

#5 ·
Just checked with a local Napa , website didn't turn one up but the store is nearby and I'm going over there to check in person. I think there are 4 different Napa stores in town and I'm going to every one of them today. Also going to hit the Carquest and Advance Auto parts stores . Looks like good old 688 Parts stores are gone ! Didn't find one in my search .
If there's a decent switch in B.R. , I'm going to find it.
Pep Boys didn't have any, I went there already .
Will call Hinshaws Monday , they are closed today , in case my search in town turns up nothing.
Thanks for the leads , didn't know about Hinsaws.
Gary

#6 ·
Around where I live if the Napa store dosen't have it in the store but has it in the warehouse if it's early in the day they'll have it that same day or if not the next day. Napa is a good place to buy parts their Quality seems to be much better than Advance, or Autozone. I found that out when purchasing a new speedometer cable besides other things.

#8 ·
Joe,
I got your PM and think I replied to it with a PM. Although I'm not sure if I hit the right buttons and did it right. The wife and daughter left me without adult supervision again so I didn't have anyone to help me do it. I usually screw up these computer things, you know ...old dogs and new tricks...I need help doing this stuff.
PM me if you don't get my PM
Gary

#11 ·
I just wish we could get decvent parts at a less outrageous price.
I was looking for a wiper switch for my El Camino, single speed, no washers.
Anywhere from $35 to over $100, depending on which vendor it trying to bend me over !!
Sheesh.

#12 ·
I agree. Last year I replaced my instrument bezel and replaced all the switches. I ordered from NPD. The new ignition switch fried my fusible link. Thank god the link was installed and saved the wiring harness. NPD was very helpful and sent me another switch. I ended up putting the 48 year old original back in because I didn't trust the new switch which was made in Mexico. So now I have a new ignition switch made in Mexico that I won't use so I am buying a NOS switch in case I need to change it. Only good that came out of this was that I found out I could change the ignition switch with the dash bezel installed. Not bad for a 69 year old contortionist.

With the millions of dollars spent every year on our hobby, you'd think the suppliers would insist on better quality control. Not trying to knock the suppliers. Perhaps they are as frustrated as we are.

Bill B.

#13 ·
And the sad thing is , the ones made in Mexico are better than the Chinese made junk. I also replaced ignition switch with NPD repo, now my turn indicator lights glow when the windshield wipers are on ?
I still can't figure out why they glow....they never did with the old switch!
This poor quality electrical parts situation is going to kill the old car hobby, You would think some company would want to make decent parts....I would certainly buy them !
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.