electronic exhaust cut outs - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By sstom66
  • 1 Post By Arch Stanton

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 6:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage
electronic exhaust cut outs

Thinking about adding some electronic exhaust cut outs. Not sure of the best forum for this question so sorry if there is a better one, mods feel free to move it.

Looking at them today I see they range anywhere from 140.00 to over 500.00. Im sure quality of motor gets better with price but its just pipe and a flap

Anyone using them? Advice or suggestions on something that works well? Looking at them more closely, I wonder if Ill just be introducing 2 exhaust leaks, not real sure how they can produce a good seal when closed.

Whos got em enlighten me

If you dont push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Boss 338 18s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I cant remember
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 7:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: electronic exhaust cut outs

My buddy has an expensive set on his Six Pack Stupid Bee. He's only had to replace them once (warranty claim). When they work they do seem pretty slick (however they are actually illegal in this state). All that heat and exhaust gas can't be good for a long life. I don't see them in my 'Bu's future.

"CQQL" my Nickey Chicago 1969 Chevelle COPO Tribute: http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/us...88981229984076
Our You Tube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/NickeyCh...ow=grid&view=0
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 9:03 PM
Tech Team
Danny

I've had the QTP brand for 3 years, no problem, Summit sells them and the accessories. My son has had the Pypes brand for 9 years with no problem. Our friend who did the install on both cars said he felt the QTP's looked superior.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 9:09 PM
Tech Team
Binu

Garage

SO I am interested in this also, from my searching i was leaning towards Dougs because of the mechanism, its more like a gate. I saw the QTP ones when I was first looking, they look good, act like a butterfly valve. I believe Pypes makes one also. These are the three I have seen, and again I am leaning towards Dougs but would be interested in following this to hear of any other suggestions.

Currently I am running them open, it sounds awesome, but would be nice to close them at night or near the house. Another idea was to have the Holley control it and open it up above a certain RPM...still thinking about that one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 4:46 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja72774 View Post
SO I am interested in this also, from my searching i was leaning towards Dougs because of the mechanism, its more like a gate. I saw the QTP ones when I was first looking, they look good, act like a butterfly valve. I believe Pypes makes one also. These are the three I have seen, and again I am leaning towards Dougs but would be interested in following this to hear of any other suggestions.

Currently I am running them open, it sounds awesome, but would be nice to close them at night or near the house. Another idea was to have the Holley control it and open it up above a certain RPM...still thinking about that one.

The RPM cut outs sounds like an amazing idea! I will have to look those up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 5:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

This is really the exact opposite of what I was thinking about. I was more in the mood for shutting down the fart pipe ricer that that pulls up next to you at a red light. Or the slow cruse through the sonic parking lot

So this RMP activation thing I'm picturing like a shift light basically. You set it for 4k or whatever and they open. In the 1/8 or even 1/4 mile they are not going to be open long...

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Boss 338 18s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I cant remember

Last edited by 70 nialator; Jan 11th, 17 at 5:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Quote:
Do that in Nebraska during this time of year and you'll warp every valve you have.

USMC- Retired

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 5:31 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 nialator View Post
Thinking about adding some electronic exhaust cut outs. Not sure of the best forum for this question so sorry if there is a better one, mods feel free to move it.

Looking at them today I see they range anywhere from 140.00 to over 500.00. Im sure quality of motor gets better with price but its just pipe and a flap

Anyone using them? Advice or suggestions on something that works well? Looking at them more closely, I wonder if Ill just be introducing 2 exhaust leaks, not real sure how they can produce a good seal when closed.

Whos got em enlighten me
I have the Pipes brand on my Monty,no trouble in 3 years. Got a 548 under the hood and it's cool to pop them open and scare the unsuspecting public half to death,hee hee. I actually use them the most at the track in street class,get staged nice and quite ,then bam, noise and lots of it,usually the guy in the other lane has to look over to see whats going on.Gets them out of their game a little and gives this 70 year old guy a chance.
70 nialator likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

When I was working on my car I was considering putting the Doug's one's on. There's really nothing like the sound of open headers. I didn't do it there really wasn't enough straight pipe to mount them where I wanted to and after hitting my headers the first time I was glad I didn't do it. I would have been pissed if I had hit them. I figure my car turns enough heads anyways when I start it up or drive into an event that I don't need to draw anymore attention to it than it gets already and my car is fairly mild.

71 Malibu, 396BBC, 4 speed, 12 bolt.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 7:10 PM
Tech Team
Binu

Garage

Quote:
Do that in Nebraska during this time of year and you'll warp every valve you have.
SO they are open after the hooker headers, doubt temps will vary that much....is the warping of valves really possible? They are still open for 2 years and I live in the Northeast. Gets pretty cold here but usually only take it out above freezing.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 7:30 PM
Tech Team
Binu

Garage

Quote:
This is really the exact opposite of what I was thinking about. I was more in the mood for shutting down the fart pipe ricer that that pulls up next to you at a red light. Or the slow cruse through the sonic parking lot

So this RMP activation thing I'm picturing like a shift light basically. You set it for 4k or whatever and they open. In the 1/8 or even 1/4 mile they are not going to be open long...
Good point, you could always have a switch to open them up whenever you want....that way you can open them up!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 1:53 AM
Tech Team
John

That open header/warped valve thing in cool air is a myth that won't die.
Steve R likes this.

First car was a 1969 El Camino. .....I miss it sometimes... great car.

Currently: 1967 Camaro
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 3:22 AM
Tech Team
OLIVER

I had cheap summit brand around 350usd kept leaking from day one until motors burned down , flimsy ! Then i switched to QTP brand 450 usd, no problems , no leaks , i m very pleased with them , good quality product , easy to hook up

Oliver
Milano , ITALY

1969 396 SS monaco orange (72)
468 Vortecpro 585 HP
M20 4 speed - 4.10s
Prosystems 1000
ACES # 09607

BEST ET 11.62
BEST MPH 121
BEST 60 FT 1.64
4000 lbs street car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1ynhb5QBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_p-GQl4gpE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.