Team Chevelle banner

66 Turn Signal Switch Help Needed

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rkd 
#1 ·
My 66 had developed some looseness in the upper steering column, no tilt, and originally a column shift Power glide car. So I need to buy a new turn signal switch that includes the bearing.

I understand that there may be more than one type for a 66.
Ground Up lists only one, and it has a metal base with a plastic upper that engages the turn signal cam.

Is this the one.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Turn-signal switches for ’64-’66 Chevelles with non-tilt steering columns come in two varieties. They’re not interchangeable, and the only way to find out which you need is to look before you order.
You'll have to pull the steering wheel and see which brand name switch you have...could be BPC or GUIDE...the screw pattern is different between the two mfg'rs. The switches are marked...
I may have a new/unused '66 "GUIDE" switch on hand.

#4 ·
My 66 had developed some looseness in the upper steering column, ...
That upper column looseness could be caused by the lower bearing "clamp" being out of adjustment or damaged which allows the steering mast to migrate toward the inside of the car due to spring tension below the steering wheel.

#5 ·
What Corey said. Not common but does happen. If there's in and our play in the wheel/steering shaft this is where it usually comes from unless a previous owner left parts out of the column.

#6 ·
Reactions: 64tempestwagon
#7 ·
Wow, thanks guys. After getting it apart to look at it, I found the PO had put some very short screws in it. So I swapped in one longer one, and reinstalled. It is not great, but tighter. I photoed the installed one, and ordered what I think is the right one from GU.

We shall see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.