Team Chevelle banner

Loud clicking voltage regulator?

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  1966_L78 
#1 ·
Okay, this is on my '66 Buick Sportwagon.

I got the motor running yesterday, and noticed a few strange "clicking/clacking" noises...

One sounds like lifters...

The second was a bit different, and definitely sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine... My neighbor confirmed that it sounds like its at the back...

Then I found the noise goes away when I hold the brake pedal down... There's nothing connected except a vacuum hose...

Then while we were listening to it, I realized that the noise was cyclical... I could hear the noise "clacking" every 1/2 second or so for 2-3 seconds, followed by an audible "click", followed by silence for 1 second, then another "click", followed by the clacking... And it seemed pretty regular...

Trying to figure what would make such a cyclical noise from the bell housing area, and then I realized the voltage regulator is mounted on the firewall right above the area...

I didn't get a chance to investigate further...

I also had the battery charger hooked up WHILE the car was running... Wonder if that "helped" make that noise audible...

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's an automatic transmission then the flex plate could be cracked or broken. You would need to get up in there and have a look after removing the dust shield.

If it is the voltage regulator you could go with one of the solid state versions which are quiet and more reliable.

#3 ·
Just reinstall the flexplate, looked fine... I guess the confusion was that the sound goes away with the brake pedal (brake lights?), or is otherwise very consistent...

I just don't recall hearing a VR click above the noise of a running engine... Sounds more like an A/C clutch engaging ( but no A/C on this thing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.