Mini Starter Woes - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Mini Starter Woes

OK, a few folks here know the issues I've had with starters on my 70 as of late, particularly mini starters. I've been through 4 of them int he last 2 years. The last one that went with at the track during CB 10, I took apart tonight just to see what the issue is. Apparently they use a plastic planetary gear and 3 small steel gears to engage the drive. The plastic planetary gear was shredded by the 3 steel gears. The million dollar question...

Why is this happening? Is this a clearance issue between the drive gear and flexplate, a heat issue, or something else?

I need some kind of idea here. I'm getting tired of blowing out $75 starters all the time.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 1:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: Mini Starter Woes

Not sure if I can help.But wonderin if when you say mini starter do you mean the small gear reduction starter?75$ seems kinda cheep to me.Got mine from summit 10 years ago.The chrome summit special for $200.Never had any problems.Dont think it has any plastic gears though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 1:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Tom:
On my wagon/ 468 it has a rebuilt Delco/R $165.00. It is for a 88-91 Chevy V-6. You could try a later 454 GM Mini.
This all started at the Red Roof 2-3 years ago??
Good Luck Bob

70 SS 454 El Camino- AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013---Click on the BLUE to C my 2
70 SS 454 Station Wagon - Driver
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 1:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Tom:
On my wagon/ 468 it has a rebuilt Delco/R $165.00. It is for a 88-91 Chevy V-6. You could try a later 454 GM Mini.
This all started at the Red Roof 2-3 years ago??
Good Luck Bob
I did some research on this. They're all the same no matter where you get it from be it Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, DB Electrical or wherever else. I've compared them all, they're all the same. It started before the Red Roof too Bob, the year before that at the show on Grand Island....2007
I've never had an issue with a stock starter but blew 4 mini starters?? Something isn't right here. I'd really like to know why in the hell they have a plastic planetary gear on the drive....that's what broke on them all.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 2:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
I did some research on this. They're all the same no matter where you get it from be it Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, DB Electrical or wherever else. I've compared them all, they're all the same. It started before the Red Roof too Bob, the year before that at the show on Grand Island....2007
I've never had an issue with a stock starter but blew 4 mini starters?? Something isn't right here. I'd really like to know why in the hell they have a plastic planetary gear on the drive....that's what broke on them all.
Just curious how many teeth are on the starter gear itself??

1968 300 deluxe
15.9 @ 88.0 mph
1968 mailbu (383,th400,12bolt/posi)
13.52 @ 101.84 mph

"Just about the stupidest thing you could do, is to try and move a big block with your shoes untied."

"IF YOU HAVE A RACE CAR BUY RACE CAR PARTS"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 9:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff,,

Tom ,,,tilton and mezier uses hardened gears they told me once,,,thats why they so pricey,,i know some of GM astro vans uses the same starter that we can use cause i borrowed one at the the track when i too broke a starter,,,,,, if you find out 3 sure let us know

When I start drinking the real Johnny Cash come's out,,

Jeff Thompson
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 10:21 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Check flexplate run out...

1972 Chevelle SS 502 HO w/M22

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113

Cubs win...Trump WINS!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 4:21 PM
Tech Team
mark

sounds like the starter is staying engaged too long. How do you have the starter wired in? A few things could cause the starter drive gear to stay engaged. Solenoid, ign switch, Starter pinion gear not properly spaced to the flexplate. There are different quality starters that look the same. The parts stores can't buy a quality one for $75 much less sell it for $75 so you aren't getting a quality unit. Buy a delco unit not an after market brand, but check to see if it is staying engaged to long or you will blow it out too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

I don't think it's that. The engine never made 1 crank revolution nor did it fire when it happened. It's wired as it should be with a factory harness. I called DB Electrical today and discussed it with them. I mentioned that it happened when the engine kickbacked...which it did. I seem to think that is the issue here and reason being is I have had a stock starter break the nose on a kickback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
sounds like the starter is staying engaged too long. How do you have the starter wired in? A few things could cause the starter drive gear to stay engaged. Solenoid, ign switch, Starter pinion gear not properly spaced to the flexplate. There are different quality starters that look the same. The parts stores can't buy a quality one for $75 much less sell it for $75 so you aren't getting a quality unit. Buy a delco unit not an after market brand, but check to see if it is staying engaged to long or you will blow it out too.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 8:13 PM
Tech Team
mark

sorry I didn't see a mention of kickback. Sounds like you found the problem. Maybe you have the timing to far advanced looking for more speed.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 8:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
I don't think it's that. The engine never made 1 crank revolution nor did it fire when it happened. It's wired as it should be with a factory harness. I called DB Electrical today and discussed it with them. I mentioned that it happened when the engine kickbacked...which it did. I seem to think that is the issue here and reason being is I have had a stock starter break the nose on a kickback.
I broke the nose off a starter with kickback also.2 teeth broke off the flexplate at the same time.I got lucky because it started.Drove to work and changed the starter.Changed the flexplate at later date.I was young so the shop forman checked and ajusted my timing and said buy a timing light.Never happened again.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

I'm going to back the timing down 2 degrees tomorrow and readjust the carb. Hopefully that will cure it. In the meantime, I'm going to send the broken starter back to DB Electrical so they can fix it.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 10, 5:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I'm going to back the timing down 2 degrees tomorrow and readjust the carb. Hopefully that will cure it. In the meantime, I'm going to send the broken starter back to DB Electrical so they can fix it.
Are you running either a locked out timing setting, or a relatively high amount of initial advance, with a start retard? Some other members here were mentioning recently in another thread how that they've decided not to use the start retard feature on their race type ignitions, because when they did use it, it caused the kickbacks that you've just made mention of in a previous post. They said that as soon as the got away from using the start retard feature, they no longer had the kickbacks. So you might want to consider that if you're also using a start retard and you've been getting the kickback if it's possible that this is causing your starters to fail. I hope this helps.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.