Re: engine test stand wiring diagram?
I come across this posted on another site. Wiring in the alternator really isn't necessary for a run stand. A ballast resistor could be added to the coil power wire but isn't mandatory for the short time it will be on the run stand.
To wire it up....
1) Battery cable from + on battery to big post on starter.
2) Battery cable from - on battery to engine block, and test stand
3) 10 ga, Wire From back of alt. to battery
4) plug on alt. 2 wires, 1 goes back to the back of alt, other goes to battery but add a 47-50 ohm resistor in line the wire before battery.
5) wire from big post on starter to push button
wire from little post towards oil pan on starter to other side of push button.
6) wire from coil "+" post to toggel switch
7) wire from other side of toggel switch to battery
8) green wire on tach to "-" coil post
9) black wire on tach to battery ground to test stand frame
10) tach's other wires to the "non powered" side of toggel switch
11) volt gauge red wire to "non powered" side to toggel switch
10) volt gauge black wire to frame of test stand, battery - or engine block
Wired up like that.. You flip your toggel switch which will power up your dist, gauges, etc, push the start button to turn starter over and fire engine. To shut the engine off you just flip your toggle switch