Electrical Gremlins - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 09, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Electrical Gremlins

Boy... just when I get one thing done, i get slapped in the face with another issue.
Spent most of last night getting the relay for the fuel pump wired correct..(check.... works)
Wired the ignition for +12v switched/cranking(check)
Crank the motor over last night (check)
Got my trans lines installed today(check....oh wait...)

I tried to crank the motor over and the dreaded..... click click click. Battery, starter, Positive cable is brand new. I check the gear on the starter and it's stuck in the engaged position. Have to give the crank a little turn to get the teeth to disengage. Try it again..... click... click.. click.. What f@#*@(#* gives......

I was able to crank the motor over without any issue before(after battery was replaced). Had 12v at the NSS wire(from "S" terminal on starter) coming into the ignition. Not sure how but now I'm only getting @ 8v from the "S" terminal from the starter and no cranking at all. I bypassed the switch and just hard wired these to eliminate any issues with the switch. Still getting 8v now.

Could this possibly be a problem with the solenoid? I already had the starter tested and it worked before I installed and also worked when it was in the car. How can you check the solenoid is good or bad?

Suggestions on what to try next? I plan on checking the grounds tomorrow. Possibly pulling the starter and trying to bench test it.

69 540 FAST EFI BBC El Camino"it's alive"
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/peetsjunkie/images Check out the latest stuff here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 09, 10:50 PM
Levon

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Check the grounds on the -battery and at the block. Sometimes you can bypass it with a booster cable between the battery and block. MAy be a bad cable or poor connection.

Also check the +lead from battery to the terminal block and starter. Looks like a bad connection somewhere.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed.
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 10, 6:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Well after a few hours I think have located several issues this morning.

After moving some things around in the engine bay, I noticed a few sparks come off the braided cable from the block. Got the volt meter and found the engine block has +12v!!! when the key is switched to on. Must be a short somewhere. Looks like a possible problem with the ignition switch..

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/peetsjunkie/images Check out the latest stuff here!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 10, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do you have the negative battery cable securely connected to the engine block? Typically it will be attached to the alternator bracket.

TC member 368
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 10, 8:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elree Colby View Post
Do you have the negative battery cable securely connected to the engine block? Typically it will be attached to the alternator bracket.
what alternator bracket

tried a new ground.... new cable.... nothing. click click....

Jiggled the ignition switch.... bingo. Guess I'll order the new column now and be done with this old pos....

Also bypassed ignition switch, with hand starter and works fine.

UPDATE:

Culprit was the spring loaded mechanism in the ignition swtich. Looks like it worked sometimes and other times, never. I readjusted the spring arm that engages the starter and works fine. Wow... another wasted day on electrical. (At least I found a few other probems in the meantime)

Last edited by ss396boy; Jan 2nd, 10 at 1:42 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 10, 2:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jason

2nd update:
Well I thought I had it figured all out last night. Gremlins came back to attack today. Arrgh. Turns out, the NSS wire(purple) was not connected all the way on the bulkhead connector on the new harness. When I checked the NSS wire from the bulkhead, I was putting enough pressure to cause a connection to be made. This is why I was suspecting the ignition switch since it was acting flakey.

After taking apart the connector, I noticed the female bulkhead connector was not locked into the fusebox, it was pushed back about 1/4", causing it to only make contact when I pushed on the fitting. Disconnected the fuse box and pushed it back in and I hear a little "click". Guess the guys at Painless where asleep when they put these together.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get some video of it being fired up....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.