Team Chevelle banner

71-72 SS sport side mirrors

33K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  454s4ever 
#1 ·
As most everyone knows all 71-72 SS Chevelles and El Caminos came standard with sport/Bullet style mirrors. Mine came without mirrors of any sort(They were gone as it was someone elses project) My questions are these:

1) Was driver mirror always remote?
2) Did pass. mirror have the phrase "Objects closer than they appear" on it or did that start post 71-72
3)Are these the same mirrors found on Camaros and Firebirds through the 70's.

I would my like our "resto" as close to original as possible.

#3 ·
1) Yes
2) ?
3) No
Really? Not to be argumentitive but whats the diff between a F Body and an A Body sport/bullet mirror. I havent seen them next to each other but Im curious none the less.

PS-i noticed that neither of the vert 72"s in your sig have pass. side mirrors-just curious as to why is all. Something unique to verts?

#8 ·
My '71 SS454 EC came with only the chrome remote (D33). And it's positively original to the vehicle.
The owner (second) I bought mine from swears that it came with dual chrome mirrors, of which you speak, driver side being remote like you'd find on a Monte Carlo or other GM A Body. Everyone else says no way! 71-72 SS only came with dual sport mirrors and was a standard item when the SS package was chosen.

#6 ·
The right side mirror was an option until like 1973. The difference in the mirrors is in the angle of the base. If you see a 71-72 with a bullet mirror on the right, look at how it sits on the door compared to the left side.

#7 ·
There is a guy on this site that can convert sport mirrors (GM) to work just like original ones but they are pricey. I bought a pair at Chevellabration 08 that I have not got back from the body shop yet. I think his web site is spoilersbyrandy as he also makes spoilers for our cars . Somewhere I have his business card . He was also at CB last year.

#22 ·
I've made my own mirrors from a non-Chevelle pair of mirrors. As long as the angle is not too far off, with a little care you can modify the base angle with a belt sander, and use a dremmel cut-off wheel to trim the inner web that the bracket clips to. Here is my 71 with a pair of non-Chevelle mirrors I picked up on ebay for $30.

#11 ·
I have seen several '71 SS's with out the Bullet Sport Mirror. They had the regular D33 chrome remote. They did not come as a pair. Most of the Bullet Right side mirrors I have seen are incorrect.

#12 ·
I believe the remote chrome was standard on the SS and the sport mirror was an option. The plastic gasket or insulator is a chevelle only item fot the sport mirror. It does not share the same part number with any others. There are several ways to make them fit ok. I would find a correct drivers side and make the passenger side work. It has been several years since I have seen a NOS passenger side sport mirror sell and it was not cheap. The chevelle mirror has a unique feature about it.
Hope this helps some

Nelson

PS: Be careful most of the sport mirrors sold as chevelle are not!

#15 ·
Haven't seen one in person. It looks okay. The only problem I have found with some mirrors is you can't see in them all that well. (distorted)

FYI: NPD has the same mirror at a better price.

#19 ·
Note:
The D-33 was an option in 70, It cost $10.33. Also the mirror heads are all the same. There are TWO different D-33 mirror bases one base fits El Caminos the other base fits Chevelles / Monte Carlos.
I found two D-33 mirrors in a junk yard from a Monte. The heads are the same. When the Monte base mounted on a Camino the head sits at an angle, Due to the different door shape.
A hard item to find is the D-33 mounting gasket. 70 El Caminos did NOT have two mirrors from the factory. I had a gutter clip-on mirror I used in (not sure of the year) mid 73-75???? to get my El Camino state inspected. Then it went back under the seat. I believe a Federal Law was passed, DATE ???? That all Trucks had to be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. Not sure about the cars.
My one owner Z-15 El Camino still has the D-33 ( I ordered it ) on the drivers door, Pass. door is still Org. NO Mirror. I have PA. " ANTIQUE " plates, If not, I would have to attach an outside mirror on the right side.
Bob

#20 ·
The Bullet sport mirror was introduced on the 71 model year after it had started production, the time varies between plants. The early cars had the Chrome mirror that was remote as it was a standard part of the SS package. ALL Elcamino SS in 71 and 72 had a Chrome remote mirror, there was never a Bullet mirror from the factory for that application. There was NEVER a passenger side Bullet mirror available for the Chevelle thru new car order or parts departmant PERIOD!!!!! Many people added a 73 Nova sport mirror which was similar in design, slightly smaller in size but was close to the contour of the upper door and would attach at a slight angle. I know I put sport mirrors on my LS-6 right after I got it way back in the Mid Seventies. I researched it way back then to see what would fit when they were abbundent at the wrecking yards.

Jim

#21 ·
I did some reading and guestimating. It appears at first glance that F Body/X Body bullet mirrors may fit Elco doors pretty well. Not Chevelle doors though. Could be wrong but the angle of the base of F Body mirrors is close to the Elco door curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.