Trunk Divider Board - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Trunk Divider Board

Some GM A-Bodies had a board behind the rear seat back that divided the trunk from the passengers compartment. They are supposed to act as a sound barrier as well as an insulation function keeping heat and cold from the non climate controlled trunk from effecting the passengers climate controlled compartment.

These boards were in Buick and I believe Oldsmobile A-Body cars. Not sure if any Pontiac A bodies or Chevy A-Bodies had this divider. The question I have is not about using one of these boards in a Chevy...I am sure it will fit due to basic similarities in the A-Body structure. The question is did these boards fit behind the metal divider on the trunk side or infant of the metal divider on the passengers compartment side? I plan to add one for climate and sound control reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Trunk Divider Board

Hi Ray they mount on the inner side of the trunk support right behind the seat. They also have a jute material that you can put in between the board and trunk brace but I stay away from that stuff other than on the carpeting. I don't care for the jute stuff it's only a water retainer if you have a leak.

71 Malibu, 396BBC, 4 speed, 12 bolt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
They mount on the inner side of the trunk support right behind the seat.
Ever had an experience with them? They are cheap so it is not a budget buster. I am thinking of putting some insulation on the board to better "keep my cool" inside the car where I ride. No point in air conditioning the trunk or putting up with the heat from the trunk adding to the task faced by the A/C.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Yes, I put a new board in mine. My old one was just shabby looking. You may want to get the jute backing for it in your case. I got my board from GU.
Brownd3max likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 1:23 PM
Tech Team
David

Garage

Oman- Funny story- I had just recently ordered a divider board and the related jute insulation for my '69 chevelle from Ecklers. Apparently, I must have accidently clicked on, and ordered a '67 board (different part #), So I emailed their tech dept., and asked for the 2 boards' measurement differences, hoping to maybe be able to trim & use the '67 board if possible. They replied a few days later with the measurements of the SHIPPING BOXES! LOL!
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

Dave
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 4:48 PM
TWC
Tech Team
Tom

On my 67 Malibu I too want to install the divider board. Somewhere I saw where someone posted that it " hangs "
on some hooks. On my car ( which I believe is original ) there are two little hooks but they are accessible from the trunk side of the divider bracing. I agree that the bracing is to be exposed with the backer board on the cabin side of the braces but these hooks confuse me. If I don't use the hooks what retains the divider board??
Also, I intend to use the jute insulation between the divider board and the back seat so it won't be visible.

67 Chevelle Drag Car SST
67 Malibu Street car
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

With so many modern and effective noise dampeners and climate insulators - why use jute?
HKalin likes this.

'66 SS 396 #'s match/ POP - Aztec Bronze / Bronze Interior
'66 SS 454 Cortez Silver / Maroon Interior
'37 Chevy Coupe 235 Straight 6 - Cabana Cream`
'55 Chevy Gasser - 427, 4 speed
'72 Cutlass Supreme - Gold/White
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC View Post
On my 67 Malibu I too want to install the divider board. Somewhere I saw where someone posted that it " hangs "
on some hooks. On my car ( which I believe is original ) there are two little hooks but they are accessible from the trunk side of the divider bracing. I agree that the bracing is to be exposed with the backer board on the cabin side of the braces but these hooks confuse me. If I don't use the hooks what retains the divider board??
Also, I intend to use the jute insulation between the divider board and the back seat so it won't be visible.
The hooks they may be referring to are the ones at the top of the trunk bracing on the interior side that the seat hooks on when you put the seat back in.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
With so many modern and effective noise dampeners and climate insulators - why use jute?
Yup I agree! I am thinking of a product like Dynamat on the seat side of the board. Peel and stick...done.
HKalin and 70SSTHUMPER like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 9:19 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Ok,

I'll add my 2 controversial cents

There was never jute pad from the factory from what I have seen. Just the cardboard/asphalt? Tar divider board.

I've based this off my 1970 that was ordered new by my Dad and still in the family, various survivor car and junker (but otherwise untouched original) pics on the internet I've gone thru and the 1970 Fisher body manual. There is barely enough room to get the divider board in there and to stay on the hooks --yes there are dedicated "hooks" in the rear sheet metal for dedicated cut-outs on the divider board--let alone get jute backing in there to make engaging the rear seat back even more frustrating.

It's just like the cowl screens--everyone sells them so they must have been installed by the factory, right? Wrong. Maybe other makes and models, but I'd have to see some very convincing evidence of an all original virgin survivor that was disassembled showing a nasty old piece of jute mated with the divider board for me to think otherwise.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 9:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post

There was never jute pad from the factory from what I have seen. Just the cardboard/asphalt? Tar divider board.
To tell you the truth I never saw the jute behind the seat or under the package tray either.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 9:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Thread creep alert:

I don't use jute under carpets either. I had a water leak 30 or 20 years ago and learned my lesson on that stuff.

'66 SS 396 #'s match/ POP - Aztec Bronze / Bronze Interior
'66 SS 454 Cortez Silver / Maroon Interior
'37 Chevy Coupe 235 Straight 6 - Cabana Cream`
'55 Chevy Gasser - 427, 4 speed
'72 Cutlass Supreme - Gold/White
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 2:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownd3max View Post
Oman- Funny story- I had just recently ordered a divider board and the related jute insulation for my '69 chevelle from Ecklers. Apparently, I must have accidently clicked on, and ordered a '67 board (different part #), So I emailed their tech dept., and asked for the 2 boards' measurement differences, hoping to maybe be able to trim & use the '67 board if possible. They replied a few days later with the measurements of the SHIPPING BOXES! LOL!
I have a buddy who has a great "one covers all" expression for what you mention here. It states that "Nobody does his job anymore".
Anylizer and Brownd3max like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 2:57 PM
Tech Team
David

Garage

Well, the good news is, after a few measure and trim actions, I got the '67 divider board to fit perfectly. Added the jute ins. to the inside with some spray adhesive, then used some "dynomat" equivalent insulating strips (@Lowes-$15 for a 6" x 25' roll!) down the sides, and across the bottom, and it's all virtually "hermetically" sealed from the trunk! The seat back and bottom slid into place with little effort thankfully. I personally like the jute material in some Vertically installed locations. It has a "cushioning" effect, and no appreciable resonance frequency. Just keep it dry! LOL!

Dave
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownd3max View Post
Well, the good news is, after a few measure and trim actions, I got the '67 divider board to fit perfectly. Added the jute ins. to the inside with some spray adhesive, then used some "dynomat" equivalent insulating strips (@Lowes-$15 for a 6" x 25' roll!) down the sides, and across the bottom, and it's all virtually "hermetically" sealed from the trunk! The seat back and bottom slid into place with little effort thankfully. I personally like the jute material in some Vertically installed locations. It has a "cushioning" effect, and no appreciable resonance frequency. Just keep it dry! LOL!
I see you liked my previous post: "Nobody does........". The guy I mention is THE ABSOLUTE WORST when it comes to being satisfied with anything he buys. He really is a PIA. Look up PIA on Wikipedia and ya see his picture!!! Another favorite saying of his when describing what he expects when he spends his hard earned money buying anything you can imagine buying is as follows. He describes his expectation as "Desperately seeking a custom fit in an off the rack world". The box dimensions would send him into shock! He is funny for awhile but it gets tough to deal with over time.
Brownd3max likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.