Getting wrinkles out of headliner - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Getting wrinkles out of headliner

The new headliner has alot of wrinkles. Just couldn't get it right without wrinlkles. Can we use a heat gun to help take some of them out? Try to post pics, here goes:

Mark
68 RS SS L78 Camaro #'s match mostly original
70 SS (clone) 540 Finally done
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Mstehle/

Last edited by Mstehle; Dec 28th, 09 at 4:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 9:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve Johnson

Re: Getting wrinkles out of headliner

Mark I wouldn't use a heat gun, it's pretty easy to melt the headliner (guess how I know). It seems like you have more wrinkles than usual. Did you cut the listings on the pockets back a few inches before install? I looks like the listings aren't able to be pulled enough to the edges which would remove the wrinkles at the bows. I have had good luck taking out minor wrinkles with a steamer. I wouldn't use any heat on the sail panels since that would affect whatever glue is attaching the fabric to the sail panel, thus creating more wrinkles. Hate to say this, but you might need to back track and try to get more of the wrinkles out by doing some more pulling so you can get a better result.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 9:27 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Sometimes leaving the car sit outside on a warm sunny day will help with removing wrinkles from a recently installed headliner.
Don't use a heatgun....that material is mostly vinyl and will probably look worse after using a gun.

1972 Chevelle SS 502 HO w/M22

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113

Watch the nightly news?? Black Crime Matters
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 2:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Sometimes leaving the car sit outside on a warm sunny day will help with removing wrinkles from a recently installed headliner.
Don't use a heatgun....that material is mostly vinyl and will probably look worse after using a gun.
Bill:

Good tip but this is Central New York. The warm sunny day for this year is scheduled for August 8th. We may have one on July 24th as well but that one is optional. I'll put it on on my calendar to park the car outside that day. Like Steve said, unfortunately we may have to back track. Oh well, have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

Mark

Last edited by Mstehle; Jan 20th, 08 at 4:27 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 5:40 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstehle View Post
Bill:

Good tip but this is Central New York. The warm sunny day for this year is scheduled for August 8th. We may have one on July 24th as well but that one is optional.

I understand...believe me I do.
It was 18 degrees here this AM. Never got out of the 30's. But, the sun was out.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 6:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Yeah Bill even when it is not so nice weather in Georgia it is still nice. It's about 10 here with a sub zero wind chill and 20 miles north they are getting 3 feet of snow. Talked to my new potential boss on Friday and he is okay with me working from a remote location. Maybe this will all work out. The Athens area or McDonough area is looking good right now. Now I gotta get the Chevelle done.

Mark

Mark
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 10:14 AM
Tech Team
Junior

You can use a blow dryer(hair dryer) to get some of the wrinkles out,but it look's to me that it is not pulled tight enough on the side's.
If you do use any type of heat on the headliner be very careful,as posted before you can melt the headliner.With the blow dryer it wont get as hot as a heat gun will,but it will do the job with less chance of melting the headliner as long as you do not hold it in one place too long.

Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim

www.myspace.com/scbautotrim
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Garage

Mark
You can park it all day in the sun on Fathers Day, at the Prison City show. I have only done 1 headliner, that was on my 65. It looked like yours at one point. Looks like you will definitly need to do some more pulling out to the edges. I can't imagine that amount of wrinkle will resolve with heat. It's sooo cold right now that I would make sure the interior is warm, before you try to stretch the liner.

Scott
65 Malibu SS Red On Red 4 Speed
Sold It

Showroom http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0/ppuser/28378

Current Evening Orchid Project Finally Done
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/seseyeguy/
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 3:36 PM

Looks like the verdict has been made. I will pull on it some more.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 8:05 PM
Team Member
Mike

Search for the headliner post... it's a sticky. Great pics and instructions.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 8:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

need to pull it tighter, you might have to trim back the bow channel a little so it can slide more towards the way you pull it.

Chris White
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 9:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

The pro's use steam to shink the wrinkles out. I'm sure some of those wrinkles would go away with steam but I don't think they all would. I'm with the rest of the gang here, I would stretch it some more. Your ear muffs have wrinkles too! Those should have been done on the bench and shouldn't have any wrinkles before installation. This is not all bad since 90% of the readers here wouldn't tackle a headliner job in the first place and you did and you just about got it right. Just a little more time on this one and you will have mastered it!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

steam will get out creases, not loose wrinkles like those. Its simply not pulled tight enough. Easy fix

Chris White
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 9:40 AM
Tech Team
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67shovel View Post
The pro's use steam to shink the wrinkles out. I'm sure some of those wrinkles would go away with steam but I don't think they all would. I'm with the rest of the gang here, I would stretch it some more. Your ear muffs have wrinkles too! Those should have been done on the bench and shouldn't have any wrinkles before installation. This is not all bad since 90% of the readers here wouldn't tackle a headliner job in the first place and you did and you just about got it right. Just a little more time on this one and you will have mastered it!

I use both steam and a heat gun,but like everybody has posted no amount of heat or steam will get those wrinkles out.

Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim

www.myspace.com/scbautotrim
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67shovel View Post
Chevy Dave is the man! He's the one with the courage to do this stuff. I just help out where I can. I will help him this weekend and we will get it right. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.