1972 Chevelle Instrument Panel - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 2:21 AM Thread Starter

1972 Chevelle Instrument Panel

Hello everyone. I have a 1972 Chevelle 4 door with the sweep style instrument panel (120mph speedometer and no tach). I was wondering what my options were as far as instrument panels. I would like something that looks stock, and be able to fit nice Autometer gauges such as: speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, fuel and tranny temp. I have looked at Covan's instrument panels, but after reading here about the build quality, I do not think I will be buying from them. Also, I do NOT want to go digital, very ugly IMHO. I was looking at Original Parts Group, and to my understanding they have reproduction SS style instrument panels that can be put into sweep style Chevelle's such as mine. I like the idea of this, but is there any cutting required to make it fit properly? Also, are there other companies that offer alternatives? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1972 Chevelle Instrument Panel

Pics of my 70 with covan's dash & blue LEDs

Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S
Thanks for the reply, although I was trying to go with something other than Covan's. I will admit that's the nicest Covan setup I have seen so far, kind of makes me want to get one now.

So no other alternatives? I was also thinking about getting a small tach to put next to the speedo where the factory clock is supposed to be, has anybody else done this? Would a small shift light fit in there as well?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 9:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

where are you located?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:12 PM
Tech Team

I didn't go to the link and I'm sure it says this, but an SS style dash will bolt right in.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac
where are you located?
I'm in the Bay Area of California. Why do you ask?

As for the SS style dash, I like that they bolt right in, but I wish it were a different style. From they factory they came with 3 equally sized holes for a tach, speedo and clock, right? I'm wondering what to put instead of a clock. Or is it possible to customize one of the holes and put a few smaller gauges instead of one big one? Sorry for all the questions, guys, I'm just not too sure on what's out there.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

the reason I asked was Im trying to get rid of a dash from a monte carlo, but Im not intersted in sending it. You can get rid of the clock and install a tach. You can get a tach from most of the restoration shops. I think the tach is like 160 bucks or somewhere around there. and it fits the stock SS dash. Jim
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac
the reason I asked was Im trying to get rid of a dash from a monte carlo, but Im not intersted in sending it. You can get rid of the clock and install a tach. You can get a tach from most of the restoration shops. I think the tach is like 160 bucks or somewhere around there. and it fits the stock SS dash. Jim
Oh, thanks but no thanks, I'm trying to get new parts. Plus, I think it's under $100 for the SS instrument panel from OPG. And about the tach, I thought there were 3 holes: one for tach, one for speedo, and one for clock? I would put a tach and speedo, but I would want to put something other than a clock.

I was also wondering if it was possible to put a tach where the clock is on my current sweep style (non-SS) instrument panel?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 7:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

Yes, there is a tach that will go in the clock of the sweep style dash. I have one in mine and like it. Here it is on ebay but i got mine from paddock and other suppliers do sell it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and Jim was offering a dash, and there is no such thing as a new dash for under $100!!! If u plan on going the "new" route and want ss, plan on around....$1500 for the set-up. Oh, and i can tell u from experience that it isn't always a good idea to go the new parts way!! Good Luck!

No SS here! Proud owner of a 1971 Malibu 454.
Updated Pic 1
Update Pic 2
Updated Pic 3
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 7:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

Oh, forgot to mention, the 3 hole set-up, from what i've seen, is like this: You can have a speedo, tach, and fuel gauge (with idiot lights); speedo clock and fuel gauge (with idiot lights); and a speedo, tach, and clock (without idiot lights).

No SS here! Proud owner of a 1971 Malibu 454.
Updated Pic 1
Update Pic 2
Updated Pic 3
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 5:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyric39
So no other alternatives? I was also thinking about getting a small tach to put next to the speedo where the factory clock is supposed to be, has anybody else done this? Would a small shift light fit in there as well?

I pit a 2 5/8" Autometer tach where the clock was on my sweep dash. Took the tach apart and it bolted to the clock block off plate (drilled 3 holes) and bolted it in. The block off plate is actually reversed as it was originally - Works great and it only cost me about $58.00 - (E-bay tach)

LK
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

rianbechtold- Awesome! I never thought they made a tach from the factory like that. I'm almost definite I'm going to go that route, cause I was afraid of putting a brand new Autometer in place of the clock and have it not quite match up. Thanks so much!

Alwhite00- I'm very much interested in seeing your Autometer setup, if at all possible, could you please post some pics? Thanks.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 1:00 PM

Doesn't Ausley's sell a tach conversion kit, that replaces the clock?
The one I've seen looks perfect -like it came that way-
My question would be do they make a temp and volt meter to go into the dummy light holes ???
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 3:23 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody know of any places that sell that in dash tachometer for the 1972 sweep style gauge bezel? Also, are they used originals or reproductions? Thanks
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 4:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyric39
Does anybody know of any places that sell that in dash tachometer for the 1972 sweep style gauge bezel? Also, are they used originals or reproductions? Thanks
The ones that rianbechtold is talking about are neither originals or reproductions. They are custom made to look like a factory tach. The sweep style dash never had a tach from the factory, but I would buy one if I had a sweep dash.

Greg U

MY 70SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.