Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still No Fuel to Pump

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jloshotz 
#1 ·
This is a continuing issue that I have not been able to resolve as of yet.
Details:
1971 Chevelle 350 Cubic
650cfm Edelbrock Carb - New
Mechanical Fuel Pump - New
Engine ran fine

Had to drain and drop the fuel tank to do some welding to the rear right shock bracket.
When the tank was dropped I removed the Fuel Sender unit and seal (slightly cracked) from the tank. Reinstalled the same unit back into the tank and put the tank back up reconnected all the lines. Added about 8 gallons of gas to the tank.
Could not start engine, was unable to have flow of gas from tank to pump. A few of you responded by saying to pump some air pressure to the fuel tank to prime the lines.
This worked, engine started and maintained rpm. Warmed it up and drove it around the block a few times, engine ran for appx. 30 min. Well today I started the engine and warmed it up. Was backing down the driveway and it started to sputter and then died.
Removed the fuel line between the tank and pump and presto no fuel. Poured some gas in the carb to help it start and it would but still would not maintain.
Why am I unable to get gas from the tank to the pump ?
Was running but now all of a sudden it stops again. I know I have plenty of fuel. The only variable I believe is something to do wih the Fuel Sending Unit.

Thanks for the help.
Guy

See less See more
#2 ·
Assuming your new fuel pump isn't bad it sounds to me like your pick up in the tank is clogging. How was the sock? Whenever I remove a tank I always remove the sock filter. In my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth and not needed with the addition of an inline filter. If your sock was already off then are you sure the inside of your tank is clean. When you removed it some internal rust/dirt/whatever may have broken loose and is intermittently blocking the intake. Who knows? Just something to think about......

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.

"Failures are divided into two classes - those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." John Charles Salak

#4 ·
hello,

assuming the fuel pump is operating correctly, try sucking on the line from the tank like you are trying siphon gas. If the line is clear you should get flow, if not, obviously there is a blockage. If you do get flow I would suspect your fuel pump, get a gas can and fill it, take a hose that fits your fuel pump intake and stick it in the gas can, crank over engine, if it fires up pump is good, if not, well then now you know.

#5 ·
Jumpshot, i at one time many years ago dropped my tank and then had a similar problem. turned out that i had tighetend the tank straps too much, and it was actually pinching the rubber hose that on my car was connected to the ports on the sender plate. I loosened the straps a little bit and voila...Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.