Team Chevelle banner

4L60E VSS and Mech. Speedo

21K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  forcd ind 
#1 ·
I'm putting an LT-1 with a 4L60E in my 64 Chevelle. I'm going to keep the stock speedometer. I have seen the kits where you can buy the tailhousing that accepts the VSS and has a place added to put a mechanical speedometer in. Has anyone ever done this on their own? I dont want to spend $400 or $500 to buy this kit. I'm thinking about trying to modify a 700R4 tailhousing with a mech. speedo to also hold the VSS. If anyone has ever done this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I think that you might be better off spending the money on the kit. In order to run a mechanical speedometer & a speed sensor, you are going to have to have a speedometer gear & a speed rotor on the tail shaft, then the sensor would have to be spaced correctly from the speed rotor in order to acheive the correct gap. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it is going to require alot of modifications.

#3 ·
i converted my 700r4 from mech to a electric. took out the mech sender and put in th eelectronic on. i f you pull the sender from your trans, does it have the teeth on the tail shaft? tom

#4 ·
Yes the VSS picks up from a wheel with "teeth" cut into it. I have found a kit where they sell a piece that has the VSS wheel and the mech. speedo gear made into it too. It is slid on the tailshaft, then held by 3 set screws. I'm trying to find out if I can purchase that piece seperately. If so, I believe I can use a 700R4 tail housing with mech. drive. Bore a hole opposite side of the mech speedo, and weld a fitting to the housing for the VSS. Does this sound like it would work? How did you convert yours? Did you keep it with Mech and the VSS as well?

#6 ·
i bet you can use a drive gear from a 700r4 with mechanical and a tailshaft housing from same. B&M makes a vss output that still allows use of the mech cable. tom

#7 ·
The problem you run into with use of a plastic gear on the out put shaft for a mechanical Speed-O on a 4L60E... is

GM deleted the holes in the out put shaft where the speed-O gear clip installs... when the 4L60E trans was introduced...I would check the out put shaft for the speed-O holes.

Often a clamp on device for the out put shaft is used for early mechanical speed-O on a later transmission.

#8 ·
you can buy an add on box that takes the VSS signal and converts it to a mechanical signal to spin your stock speedo.
if you want to get crafty, you could use the speedo output on the ecm to run it, and be able to accurately calibrate your speedo at any GM dealer.

#10 ·
i used the Abbott converter box on my 4l80e for my 69 speedometer-they have them on ebay, but i think you can order direct cheaper-they give you a short cable, goes from your speedometer to the box, and then wires down to the sensor on your trans-it has little switches that you flip based on rear, tire size, etc-you fig out tire rotations per mile
i have a compushift controller for the trans to control it, and the display has a built in speedometer in it, and after setting up everything, it is almost exact with my mech one, so they are pretty close
the Abbott box has a little noise, cause the little motor is spinning, but not bad
i think the Abbott box was $310

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.