2000 Tech postings from 2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 6:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
how do you check balancer for defects.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Main thing is the surface the seal runs on must be smooth, then inspect to see if the rubber part of the assembly is intact and that the outer ring of the balancer shows no signs of walking(front to rear), or spinning. If it has spun the TDC mark will not line up correctly. Let us know if you are not familiar with the procedure for determining TDC, or try a seach here it may be archived.

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
thanks big one,yes i know how to find TDC I'm curious about my balancer though.anybody that could shed some lite on tell-tell signs of how a bad balancer would affect an engine.lets say that the rubber is letting the balancer deflect at sudden r.p.m.increase how would this affect the engine,bad vibration,timing inconsistencies or what.seems to me my engine will not run smoothly when timed to start,but advance the timing to where start wants to drag and then she'll take the juice and run like h-ll.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.