1970 SS ?? - Chevelle Tech

2000 Tech postings from 2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Can anybody tell me whether the hood locks (post and cable) is standard on all 70 SS Chevelles?? I am currently looking at (to purchase) a matching numbers 396/350HP SS(?)with no stripes and no hood locks. I was able to determine that the stripes were an option but not the hood locks. I have looked at a lot of pictures (also my buddy has a 70SS) and all have this feature. Unless during restoration this hood was replaced and this feature was left off. The car appears to be close to original. One other odd thing about this car is the number pad on the block has all the right info to show it is a 350HP car and the VIN number matches tha last series of numbers on the pad but the numbers are stamped upside down. Although this isn't the case on my matching numbers 67 SS, this seems possible to me. What do you think?? The car has a 12 bolt 3:55 posi rear end, Muncie 4 speed and power front disc brakes which all seems correct on the car. I know with out the build sheet or a matching numbers Big Block in car it is difficult to determine the True SS status of a 70 but all that seems to be correct. Any help will be appreciated. I thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 1:00 PM
jmw
Tech Team

Pins came as part of the stripes option, so no pins is okay. There are many 70SS cars out there without the stripes and corresponding pins, one of which I owned. Not sure about the block numbers, someone else will chime in.
John
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 1:30 PM
Tech Team
Dave

I believe pins came with the cowl induction hood only. The non-CI hoods didn't have pins.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396
L34
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 3:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

For 70 no cowl induction, no pins..71-2 had the pins for both cowl and non cowl hoods. I also had an original numbers 70 with the no cowl induction, no stripes, no hood pins setup.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
91 formula
TC member #493
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 4:40 PM
Tech Team

Dave is correct. The Pins were part of the CI Hood Option. I have a non-CI hood with Stripes, no pins. This is exactly how it was delivered.

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
December 1999 Feature Car
www.chevelles.com/feature/december99.htm
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the help on the pin issue guys. Any help on the number pad being stamped upside down?? Seems to me that it is possible that a guy on the line could set the stamp tool with all the correct numbers but then do it upside down when it came time to do the operation. Working in a manufacturing facility myself I see all kinds of "stuff" like that all the time The numbers are correct and the other seies of numbers that includes the CTX to indicate a 350HP motor 4speed car appear to be solid and deep indicating that the block did not appear to ever been decked.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 5:23 PM
Tech Team

Another thing to check which cannot be altered, is the cast date on the block. Have you checked the date to see if it corresponds with your car? Hope this helps, Don

------------------
Don McGowen
1970 SS El Camino
Gold #179
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 5:28 PM
Tech Team

Another thing to check which cannot be altered, is the cast date on the block. Have you checked the date to see if it corresponds with your car? Hope this helps, Don

------------------
Don McGowen
1970 SS El Camino
Gold #179
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.