Happy with 327? - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Happy with 327?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, I didn't see a general discussion forum here...

Anyways I'm looking for a 64-67 Chevelle right now and I've set the parameters to two door, manual, big block. I'm coming from a Vette with an ls1 6 speed which was a very fun car!

I know these Chevelles are a different animal but basically my thinking is bigger the motor the happier I'll be? In my search I'm finding big blocks to be big money and I'm coming across several 327 and 350 set ups.

There's actually a 67 i found that I really like everything about it but it has the 327. Will I be satisfied with a 327 or should I keep looking? Can I easily source a bigger motor and will it bolt right up to the frame and trans etc?

The car will be used for cruising and car shows no racing for now but i want a loud torque machine with a nice lumpy cam!

I'm coming to you experts because I'm not familiar with old school cars like these... yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 9:28 AM
Tech Team

Re: Happy with 327?

I had a 1968, 327 large journal, with forged steel crank and 2.02 fuelie heads in my 70 el Camino. It was mated to an m21 trans. Man, that was a fun vehicle to drive! I reeved the snot out of her and abused her more than I should have but I could not kill her! I gave the vehicle to my brother and he sold the elCamino but put the 327 in his 70 Chevelle with a powerglide and abused her for a few more years with no issues!! Besides the dz 302, the large journey 327 is my favorite sbc!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 9:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Look up the specs on an L79 327 or you can always buy a SBC chevelle and pull & save the engine drop a "Vortecpro" 467" BBC in it and beef up the drive train and grin ear to ear
Kirk's67SS likes this.

A mans castle is his garage mines a castlette

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

"i want a loud torque machine with a nice lumpy cam! "

Torque machine, lumpy cam and 327 do not belong together in the same sentence, unless there is an "isn't" in there with it.

A 327 with a lumpy cam will need to be spun up a little higher to get it moving.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
"i want a loud torque machine with a nice lumpy cam! "

Torque machine, lumpy cam and 327 do not belong together in the same sentence, unless there is an "isn't" in there with it.

A 327 with a lumpy cam will need to be spun up a little higher to get it moving.
This is why I started the thread, what I want and what this care has "327" are two different things...

I'm trying to find out if I will be happy with a 327, if I should keep looking, if I should get it and source a BB to swap in...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

It's a personal taste. The only one that knows if you'll be happy or not is you.

If you were driving a LS 1 you probably will be a little disappointed with a 327. If you really like the looks of the car and the way it drives and handles, buy it. You can always change the engine down the road.
blue_69_malibu and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
It's a personal taste. The only one that knows if you'll be happy or not is you.

If you were driving a LS 1 you probably will be a little disappointed with a 327. If you really like the looks of the car and the way it drives and handles, buy it. You can always change the engine down the road.
What engine can I bolt up to the car and drive train without modification or changing trans etc?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

The big block will bolt right up to the transmission. everything is a bolt in deal. no cutting or welding .

You can make really good power from the 327 and keep it a daily driver.
Buddy had one combo built and stuck on the dyno . 327 with 180 eliminator heads with RPM intake and 750 carb.
9.5 compression and the comp XE270HR or might be the XE276HR.

421 HP and 419 TQ or maybe those numbers are flipped.. either way it runs out very well for a bolt together deal.
He has 4 speed with 336 gears. it is in his 66 vette.

Should work very well in a Chevelle also.
One of the quickest big cars i got to ride in was a 4 door 56 chevy with a 283 and 4 speed.
Looked bone stock on the outside but the stupid thing would pull the front wheels off the ground.

If you can't tune or do not have someone that can tune then bigger cubes can sometimes work as a crutch.
My 350's have put the hurt on many BBC cars.

Get the right combo and gears and tune it and you will be amazed what a little engine can do.
Matters how deep the pocket is sometimes. do you have 1700 for a pair of heads and 1000 for valvetrain.

Could the BBC be finished for cheaper???
blue_69_malibu and Not2Fast like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

looking for a bbc maybe disappointing if its a stocker
alot of 327's ran harder than the 325 - 350 hp 396-stockers
besides you could always upgrade a 327 car without worries of hurting cars value
with few exceptions
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 3:18 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette10R View Post
What engine can I bolt up to the car and drive train without modification or changing trans etc?
From a 194 cubic inch 6 cylinder to a 582 big block will bolt to the frame and bellhousing without any modifications. If you really like the car you should buy it. Rarely does anyone find that perfect for them Chevelle. My advice is buy the best body you can find. Fixing rust is more expensive than changing engines.
Clint44 likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42
72 Concours Wagon L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 4:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

There's a pretty big difference between the average 327 and one that's been built up right with many after market parts. The difference between the two is night and day.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/56-pro-touring/613546-65-chevelle-2dr-post-car-build-thread-aka-chevelle-hell.html
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 7:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

There's even a huge difference in how the engine is tuned. A well tuned small block (and I'm not talking built to the ragged edge here) will give many a mediocre running big block owner absolute fits. My old 67 327 Caprice stocker used to outrun a local big block Corvette until about the last hundred feet of the quarter mile. There's a lot more to a car than just brute force. If you're a good tuner, brute force can really show the wimps the quick way home..... but not if you're a below average tuner.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 7:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Clint

Quote:
What transmission is in the car,now?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
What transmission is in the car,now?
4 speed with 3.73 rear
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Clint

Quote:
4 speed with 3.73 rear
Modify that 327 like others have suggested and you will have a nice car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.