Team Chevelle banner

Oil selection?

441 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Santacarl 
#1 ·
Hey All.....

As I get ready to drop the crate 350 into my old 67 El Camino (driven only 1000 miles/year.) This is a basic 350 with stock cam and dish pistons so low compression.... No extreme use intended.

I was trying to decide what oil to:

1. Use for break in....
2. Use post break in...

I saw the post above in this Engine area about cam failures and to zinc or not to zinc..... I read the tests (and it took hours) run and posted by RAT and his theory on PSI being more important than ZDDP only..... I read all the discussions but noticed that most are years and years old.

Even when I do a search of the Forum I come up with mostly old threads.

So I'm wondering, since most of the recommendations I saw are now several years old, if there are any new product(s) (oil) for an old "drive once per month to keep the seals from drying out" classic.

I hate to open a heated discussion but I would like to hear any new thoughts....

Thankx....SC

See less See more
#2 ·
Try the "search" feature...you will stunned at the amount of oil discussions in there! You will also find out pretty quick that there are lots of "opinions", too. Not trying to duck tge issue, just trying to help you find what you want to know. You might try searching in Performance and/or Engine forum(s). Good luck with your search and your new engine.

#4 ·
Yeah....I've been "searching" and reading for a couple of days.....most of the posts old...or at least the ones I seem to find are.....and you're right lots of "opinions"...... It's amazing how there can be 2 opinions that are 180 apart....one saying 1 thing....the other the polar opposite.

Confusing..that's why I was hoping I'd just missed it. :clonk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.