383 stroker build - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

383 stroker build

Hey all, I own a 1969 chevelle malibu that came with a stock 307, power glide, and 3.08 rear gears. Basically the 307 killed itself after a cold start and it would be too expensive to fix a dog of an engine. So, I know most would say go with a big block, but for many reasons I am going with a 383 stroker. I already have the engine bought, but my question is this car is my daily driver for now. Do I stick with the power glide? And what would be the best rear gearing for a 383? I do have a th400 that I can rebuild, and I was thinking 3.73 gearing would be good. Does that sound good? Thanks for any replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 4:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Re: 383 stroker build

The turbo 400 and the gear change would be a real improvement. What is in the engine, compression, heads, cam etc? I see your name is Call Me Yams. Ok Yams it is.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 4:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

You could go TH350 or TH400. Are you sure you want 373's for a daily driver? I know someone with that has a mild 383 in a 71 with 3.08's, it still runs 12.50's at the track. Before you settle on a gear it would be wise to figure out what highway cruise RPM you can live with, then run some combinations through a gear ratio calculator.

Steve R

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 4:42 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Dearest Yams: (I like your name, BTW)

PowerGlides SUCK on anything that sees meaningful street time.....regardless of what anyone else will tell you. You literally don't have a real first gear.

So, I'd get that TH-400 on the express route to rebuilt.....and go with something between a 3.08 and a 3.31/3.36 rear gear wise. (Don't know if you have a ten or twelve bolt.) I wouldn't go any higher on a daily driver without an O/D transmission.

Also, you'll need to do some soul searching on your TQ converter as well. Personally, I'd go just one or two notches above stock. A tight 2000-2200 RPM stall would be ideal, IMHO.
Steve R and CallMeYams like this.

'69 Malibu 350/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. E-Tec 170s, Lunati 60121HR, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 670, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. 12.99@ 105.5MPH
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I agree with the other guys on the amount of gear change, I was referring to the idea of you changing gear ratio but maybe not that much. Personally I would go as far as 3.5 depending on the rest of the combination. If you are daily driving on a freeway then you have to pick a gear to suit that. It will all come down to the type of daily driving you are doing.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 7:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

If you have the TH400, build it and choose a fairly tall rear gear. If you want to have more fun, get a built 200-4R and stuff a 3.73 or 4.11 in the rear. I just swapped out my CPT 200-4R for a TKO600. With a 4.11 in the back it was a great ride. The 4.11 is too much for the 5 speed so the 3.73 is going back in. Definitely ditch the PG.

"If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
FAST EZ EFI
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 8:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Daily driver type of car. Keep the 3.08 go with the th400 if it's a short tail car trans you'll need a driveshaft that's a inch shorter 54.5" and a new yoke. Like it was already said. 220p-2500 stall converter (jegs or summit $140ish) add a cooler, a taller 275 60 15 (28") will also help on the highway. The 383 if built with torque in mind will still have plenty of get up and go and you'll have decent road manners. Jim
blue_69_malibu and CallMeYams like this.

Jim
68 el camino custom, daily driver 327 th 350
70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt Sold
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
The turbo 400 and the gear change would be a real improvement. What is in the engine, compression, heads, cam etc? I see your name is Call Me Yams. Ok Yams it is.
Heres the whole engine build:
Crankshaft - Scat / Eagle steel 383 crankshaft
Connecting rods - GM 5.7 w/ARP 150,000 bolts
Pistons - Speed Pro Hypereutectic 9.5:1 comp ratio
Piston rings - Mahle plasma moly piston rings
Performance HP Camshaft .480/.480 - 320/320 - 230/230 - 111 specs
Lifters - Hydraulic flat tappet
Oil pump - Melling high volume oil pump
Timing set - Cloyes double roller timing set
Bearings - Clevite/Mahle HP "tri-metal" rod & main bearings
Bearings - HP Cam bearings
Harmonic Balancer - GM externally balanced
Freeze plugs - Brass deep dish
Heads - GM 76CC Cast iron w/ new valve guides & seats
Valves - Stainless Steel swirl polished 2.02 intake & 1.60 exhaust valves
Springs - HD valve springs .530 max lift
Push rods - hardened
Rocker arms - GM 1.5 ratio rocker arms, balls & nuts
Performance gasket set
Head bolts - GM head bolts
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
I agree with the other guys on the amount of gear change, I was referring to the idea of you changing gear ratio but maybe not that much. Personally I would go as far as 3.5 depending on the rest of the combination. If you are daily driving on a freeway then you have to pick a gear to suit that. It will all come down to the type of daily driving you are doing.
Im going up the highway quite often so the lower rear gears definitely seem the way to go. As much as I would love a 4 speed just dont have the funds. Did not expect the 307 to blow up but it happened
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Dearest Yams: (I like your name, BTW)

PowerGlides SUCK on anything that sees meaningful street time.....regardless of what anyone else will tell you. You literally don't have a real first gear.

So, I'd get that TH-400 on the express route to rebuilt.....and go with something between a 3.08 and a 3.31/3.36 rear gear wise. (Don't know if you have a ten or twelve bolt.) I wouldn't go any higher on a daily driver without an O/D transmission.

Also, you'll need to do some soul searching on your TQ converter as well. Personally, I'd go just one or two notches above stock. A tight 2000-2200 RPM stall would be ideal, IMHO.
Thank you! I have a 12 bolt rear. 3.36 seems reasonable. Probably doing 2000 stall and was planning on it just did not mention it. Where would you recommend going online for the rear gearing?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 9:09 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Dearest Yams: For me, online = Summit Racing.

Also, maybe think about this cam instead, if it's not too late: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...make/chevrolet

Factory Heads typically like a split between the intake and exhaust duration, meaning you'll want 6-10 degrees more duration than exhaust.

If it is indeed too late, don' worry about it.
CallMeYams likes this.

'69 Malibu 350/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. E-Tec 170s, Lunati 60121HR, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 670, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. 12.99@ 105.5MPH
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Dearest Yams: For me, online = Summit Racing.

Also, maybe think about this cam instead, if it's not too late: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...make/chevrolet

Factory Heads typically like a split between the intake and exhaust duration, meaning you'll want 6-10 degrees more duration than exhaust.

If it is indeed too late, don' worry about it.
thanks for the help man! Ill definitely think about that cam. Was also thinking about throwing on roller rockers whatcha think?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 12:52 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

save your $$$ and spend it on.....yams.. pass on roller rockers for your application.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 1:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

for what youre doing i would go with an overdrive auto otherwise i would leave the powerglide in it. the 383 will go a long ways of making up for the higher 1st gear with the extra torque. they are simple and bulletproof
CallMeYams likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 4:40 PM
pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeYams View Post
Im going up the highway quite often so the lower rear gears definitely seem the way to go. As much as I would love a 4 speed just dont have the funds. Did not expect the 307 to blow up but it happened

Just my personal opinion. A 4 speed manual would be A LOT more fun to drive. Have you thought about re-using the powerglide while saving up for a four speed conversion?

The low end torque of your 383 will be a huge improvement over your old engine and would be a fine temporary set up.

I would save the $ for torque converters, tranny rebuild, and rear gear changes for the future 4 speed conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.