Is there a way to make a Holley less cold natured? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 1:58 PM
Tech Team

Re: Is there a way to make a Holley less cold natured?

I had a 650 DP before I switched over to EFI. It was always really cold on start ups, even in the summer, but not as bad. I normally would pump the pedal 3 times, then crank it over. Typically would work well, but I would have to hold my foot on the gas for a minute or two. I had a manual choke hooked up, but it would get stuck, causing the motor to be choked when driving around. Hence why I stopped using it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 3:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40 View Post
not being a smart a&& dean but i dont think a lot of people know what a god ol fashion hand choke is
Don't they use that in MMA?
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 4:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

It's why so many young boys didn't go blind, but needed glasses at an early age........

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 7:05 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Buy a quadrajet!

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 1:41 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

there is that.....

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If your running an HEI it has about 17-23* f mechanical advance. As stated above you need more initial advance, try 16*. Also make sure your HEI has full battery voltage connected, no resistance wire. In addition make sure the HEI has voltage during cranking. The old saying that most carb problems are ignition related is true. You should have no trouble starting the engine with no choke other than having to maintain idle with your foot.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2006 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 3:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmacozmy View Post
Buy a quadrajet!

cozmacozmy likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric W. Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
12.15 @ 112 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 8:39 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Best solution is to replace it with an Edlebrock !!!
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 9:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwin1592 View Post
Best solution is to replace it with an Edlebrock !!!
cozmacozmy likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric W. Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
12.15 @ 112 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 8:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

X3 on more initial timing. 10 BTDC is not even for anything other than an absolutely stock cam.

I've run Holley's and Eddy's with no choke. For really really cold starts you need a choke. For everything else you can sit with it and warm it up with your foot without a choke A properly tuned choke will allow you to start, warm up, idle down and drive with very little effort. It's worth the investment in parts and investment in time to tune it.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

x4 on the timing, you need to spend some time on the dist. before messing with the carb., timing is so important to a good running engine. It is the backbone of any quality tuning.

10 degrees is not enough, the initial timing needs to be brought up to around 16 to 18 degrees for a good starting point, once you do that you need to limit mechanical advance either thru some bushing or welding up the slots in the dist. to limit timing to around 36 degrees. once you do that you can adjust the weights and spring to bring in total timing somewhere around 2500 to 3000 rpms depends on what the engine can take so quickly- low compression engine can take timing faster and sooner, slightly higher compression needs to be slightly slower and later, also converter and gear, car weight dependent.

All this is a starting point not final numbers, some small blocks need 36-44 degrees total and some need 16-high 20's or even locked out timing for initial.

once that is all sorted then you need to move to a vacuum advance can hooked to full vacuum, some cans can start to engage the extra timing as low as 5 inches of vacuum like the old B8 cans while some of your common units wont start till late around 14 inches of vacuum.

once that is sorted out don't be surprised that you will see 40 to 52 degrees of timing at idle with vacuum can plugged in,don't take my word for it, go out and turn the dist up til the engine runs really smooth with no vacuum can plugged in and it sounds the best, if you go to far with timing the engine idles down and if you don't go far enough the engine runs roughs at idle, once you see for yourself what the engine likes turning the dist. put a timing light on it and you will see your engine is idling around the 40- 52 degree range and make that your goal for initial timing plus vacuum advance

So once the timing is taken care of which is a lot of work of course then you can turn your attention to the carb, all of the timing tuning really decreases the amount of work you have to do on the carb, folks that just slam a dist. in then do nothing with it many times have carb and heating problems and they do everything under the sun to cure those issues while the whole time the dist. is giving them headaches, but they just don't know any better. For those of us that understand the process the dist is the first thing to make right before moving on to carb.

So before I write a novel about the carb, go take care of the timing and then come back with your issues if any, because any discussion about the carb at this point is mute and worthless til the timing is taken care of.

Hope this helps

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/ddeennis/
pics of projects and whatever.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 5:01 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

What Dennis said & X5. Idle timing is just soooooooooooo important.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 10:07 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

52* of timing... at idle?

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 1:29 PM
Tech Team
Steve

That would mean that your mechanical advance is all in at idle. I suppose if you idle at 3-3500RPM, it could happen.

But, with a normal idle in the 800 (or so) RPM range, you shouldn't have any mech advance kicking in, so your idle timing should only be your initial plus vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmacozmy View Post
52* of timing... at idle?

1972 Chevelle SS Clone, 454, 200-4r, 3.08
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 1:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

I had a friend call up, said hey can you come over and tune our new holley carb, I said whats wrong, "it has a real bad dead spot going to full throttle".

By the way this a brand new 850 holley out of the box sitting on a 12 second 350 sbc engine.

I got there to the shop, I asked what did you do with the timing, "nothing just put it in where it don't rattle".

I said I'm not touching the carb til the dist is right, two guys are now saying to me nothing is wrong with the timing it's a new dist.

I stood my ground and said hey, listen, if the timing is not right there no sense for me to work on a brand new carb. you asked me over and I'm saying the timing is not right.

They said fine- I even got THE eye roll and a head shake.

I pulled the dist out, pulled apart a brand new dist and I welded about 1/4 of the slots on the dist. on the mechanical advance.

Total was set at 36 degrees and the initial timing just so happen to be 22 degrees, the car still started fine and the total was in at around 2400 or so rpm fairly quick curve( other springs they just so happen to have) this was all just a one shot deal where everything fell into place and was livable.

No vacuum was hooked up to vacuum advance can.

I tweaked the idle and mixture screws

I told them this is pretty good now back it out and stomp on it.

They stomped on it and had no more dead spot.

I told the guys, timing is so important, so they are believers now. They wanted to know more and had a nice long talk about it.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/ddeennis/
pics of projects and whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.