What does "thrown rod" really mean?? - Chevelle Tech

Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
BC
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BC
What does "thrown rod" really mean??

And what can it do to your engine??

I'm looking at buying a pretty cheap 4x4, but the lady selling it thinks it might have a thrown rod... so what does that really mean?

She says it will start and run and I can drive it around the parking lot, but will that just break it more or what??

I always kinda figured a thrown rod meant the rod came apart or something and now the engine wouldn't run at all...

Also, how do you actually "throw a rod"... is it caused by over-revving or something??

If I go and start it, what should I hear to indicate that it is in fact a thrown rod, or are there other things that could be wrong that sound/feel like a thrown rod??

Thanks,
Bill C.

Bill C.
now with nothin'! Needing Chevelle project!
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 9:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to ChevelleRob
Re: What does "thrown rod" really mean??

The engine will make a loud knocking noise because the bearing attaching the rod to the crank is damaged and has excessive clearance. depending on how damaged it is you could save the crank and rod . I would not reccomend actually driving the truck, but I would start it to take a listen.

"..a true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." Tony DeFeo

NPB 9.47 @ 140
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Thrown Rod means exacly what it says. The rod exits the side of the block. Some people call a rod knock a thrown but that isn't correct. Either way the engine isn't happy but a rod knock is much better than one sticking out the side of the block.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 12:18 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Either way, I would make an offer on the vehicle that reflects the fact that you will probably going to have to put an engine in it.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I threw a rod in a 231 V-6 in a 79 Buick LeSabre. It made a large, gaping hole in the side of the block in which rod was hanging out of it. Funny thing was, it started right back up . Good times, good times

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 5:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Paul

Thumbs up Re: What does "thrown rod" really mean??

Years and years ago, my B-I-L's little brother just under him threw a rod in a '56, 265 motor! He stopped and looked under the car and saw the hole, cranked her up AND then drove it home 6 or 8 miles running 65 to 70!!

Our old motors are tough little buggers!!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 8:53 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to doggy69

Thats crazy running it with a rid through the pan. I guess it was already in pieces wtf is a little more damage

The beginning: Dropping in the 402
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 9:02 PM
Banned
David

What does "thrown rod" really mean??

heres a example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigboom1.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	572  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 05, 9:43 PM Thread Starter
BC
Tech Team

Dang Turbo... that's nasty looking!!

SO my suspicions were probably correct in that it is probably just a rod knock rather than a thrown rod.

So Bill, can you rebuild a motor that has a rod knock? what kind of damage does it do? If I make an offer, I kinda need to know if I can rebuild the motor or just have to replace the whole thing. I can rebuild it a lot cheaper than replacing it...

Thanks all,
Bill C.

Bill C.
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 05, 12:11 AM
Team Member
Tom

You can rebuild ANY engine that has thrown a rod. Depending on the damage, you MAY have to only replace some pieces and turn the crank. OR, you may have to replace the crank, block and a head. Rebuilding an engine consists of machine work and replacing worn parts. In some cases, the block is worn (or broken) to an extent that it also needs to be replaced. Sometimes, everything except the valve cover bolts have to be replaced. But, you could rebuild the engine by retaining only the valve cover bolts!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 05, 7:30 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Send a message via AIM to MY FYN 79

Here is another fine example.

Since then, I've learned to never run around with a rod knocking if you want the block. Luckily the one above was just the stocker 305.

JLP
79 Monte
EFI 406 - Accel DFI/Pro Ram
Billet Jimmybuilt 2004-R
3.90 Ford 9"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 05, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BC
Tech Team

So if it is just a rod knocking, is there anything I can do to help it out so I could drive it 10 or so miles home? Any "tricks" you guys know of? Once I get it home, I can work on it, but not in an apt complex parking lot on the wrong side of town!!

Thanks again,
Bill C.

Bill C.
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 05, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC
So if it is just a rod knocking, is there anything I can do to help it out so I could drive it 10 or so miles home? Any "tricks" you guys know of? Once I get it home, I can work on it, but not in an apt complex parking lot on the wrong side of town!!

Thanks again,
Bill C.
I guess it depends on how much you want to risk throwing a rod/ruining the block/crank and/or possibly getting stranded...

Like some others mentioned, I have seen (and driven) some cars with "thrown" rods, but often they will not go far...

I have know some friends with minor rod knocks that filled the crankcase with gear oil (80-90W), and the thicker oil seemed to suppress the knock slightly (but not entirely)...Probably didn't really help...

I would say, if the knock isn't too bad, and you don't mind the risk, just drive home really slow, keep the rpms low to minimize the "knocking"/pounding, and hopefully keep things from breaking... And hope you have roadside assistance in case you need a tow...

My current 396 suffered a thrown rod... Luckily, it only took out the cylinder, and a new sleeve fixed the problem.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 05, 6:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you can't find a hole in the bottom end then I'd consider really lowballing her with the "needs a new engine" story and see how cheap you can get it. If it's still to much $$ to take the risk then try to start it to "see if it's complete junk or not".

Peter
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 05, 9:54 AM Thread Starter
BC
Tech Team

Ok, I was finally able to get over there last night and start the truck... It's definitely got issues!! It idles real nice and quiet, but once you step on the gas and try to go, then you hear the knocking really good. Because of that and some other oddities, I was able to get her down to $500 for the truck (actually a 79 Ford Bronco!) as is. Around here, that's a pretty good deal for a 4x4! So looks like I'll be buying it and probably just tow it home and go from there.

Once I get it home, what should I do to look for and varify that it is a rod knock and how do I go about fixing it? It there something that can be done by pulling the oil pan, or is it even worth trying? Guess I'll just not 100% sure it's a rod since I've never heard one before, so I just want to be sure that's what it is.

Thanks,
Bill C.

Bill C.
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.