Team Chevelle banner

1969 SS 396 rebuilt

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Malibulvr 
#1 ·
So I purchased this car
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/15-tag-team/392052-69-ss-396-325-auto-3.html

The previous owner had the engine rebuilt but he didn't know too much about cars. I got the car up and running but I have a few issues. The distributor is still points and does not have vacuum advance. I checked the timing because it idles at 1600+ rpm, the timing mark is advanced right off the tag, probably about 3 inches away.

The plan is to ditch the points. I need some advice about what distributor I should purchase and what timing I should set this car up at.
The timing tag currently on the cover is the square one with AoR and just tick marks.
I am going to use timing tape on the balancer and make sure my engine @tdc lines up with the zero on the tag.
Below is what the PO built this engine with. Holley 800 DP carb.

Looking at the build sheet from the machine shop:
Sealed power rings
Vandervell bearings
TRW Pistons
Cam Dynamics 294/304 Duration, 569/595 Lift
Sealed Power HI Vol. Oil Pump
Felpro Gaskets
Edelbrock true Roller timing chain

Block was bored, no clue how much
Crank was polished
Competition "Hyper FLow" valve job? (3 angle maybe)?
Hole saw heads for larger springs and machine valve guides for seals
Knurl Valve guides.

PO does not know the compression ratio but thought it was 10:1. They did run "race gas" in it at the track, 105 I assumed.

Engine work was completed by Jan-Cen racing, local here, at least they went to the right place, lol.

See less See more
#4 ·
:cool: Patience is a virtue, Mike.

Before you replace the Distributor consider if the car is a clone or the real deal (no I didn't read everything on your posted link). If the Distributor is original to a real factory-built SS396 you will want to keep it. Instead of an HEI Distributor (which does not look stock), you should consider replacing the points with something like the Crane Cams XR-i Conversion Kit. The XR-i electronic ignition module is designed to replace conventional breaker points on small block Chevrolet engines with single point distributors.

: Crane Cams 750-1720 XR-i Ignition System for GM - Blazen Auto

#5 ·
This one is a true SS but with the wrong engine, tranny and rear, so I'm not too concerned with keeping it stock at this point. I heard about Pertronix but not the Crane Cams replacement. I wasn't sure if these worked as well as the HEI units.

#7 ·
I bought a Pertronix LS module at Jan-Cen Mike, after the Crane XRi I got at K&S didnt work. LS is lobe sensor so you dont have to use their doughnut under the rotor. I bought k&S last Crane XRi. They have a Pertronix 1 ( the one with the doughnut which didnt like 7000 rpm + ) and Jan-Cen has another LS.

#9 ·
So I still have my points distributor no can and adjusted my timing. Originally timing was advanced right off of the timing tab. Now I have it set to about 16 @ idle. The car is now idling @ about 1200 RPM and I can't seem to get it any lower. It originally idled @ 1800. The cam is a Cam Dynamics 294/304 Duration, 569/595 Lift. I have a Holley 800 DP but I have no clue what the jetting is.

I'm used to running my little 350 @ 600rpm, what should this Big Block be idling at?

#11 ·
I'd set idle at 850....fwiw.

Congrats on getting it running!

#17 ·
Attempted to rebuild my Holley 800cfm and It didn't go very well. The carb does not want to seal up and seaps fuel in a few places. The floats also were bent slightly by the PO. The other strange thing I found was the jets were the same at all four corners (72). Power valves were 10.5 and 6.5 and idle screws were worn out. Threads at the fuel inlet fittings were very worn and one screw hole for the front acellerator pump was stripped....So, I bought a new carb from Holley. They had a re-manufactured 800cfm DP on Ebay for a whole lot less than a new one. I have not tuned this yet but just out of the box the car runs so much better than it did, it's a night and day difference.

Chevelle w new Holley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.