Team Chevelle banner

'67 283 engine part behind distributor??

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Tom Mobley 
#1 ·
Hello,

There's a part behind the dist on my '67 283..sits below and towards drivers side of intake. Approx 1 inch diamtere and 1.5 inch high with a bolt through center holding it to block. Has about 3/8 to 1/2 nipple 90 degrees but nothing was hooked to it.

What is it, and do I need it?? I'd post a picture if I knew how.

Thanks, Bob
ps. I figured out the pic with my Iphone

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
THANKS for info...I was sorta thinking that's what it was but wasn;t sure.

Next question...pure stock '67 283 2 barrel carb....any idea how much power increase to a four barrel intake and Q-jet or small Holley?? My son wanted to know; my thoughts are it probably isn;t worth it.

Bob

#7 ·
Some may remember, but before that fitting for the PCV was used there was a pipe, roughly about an inch or so in diameter that connected there and curved down around the block. It just dumped to atmosphere. And before that, some early 265's just had a straight pipe pressed into a hole in the bottom of the block dumping to atmosphere. As I recall those engines didn't have a block fitted oil filter. I think some didn't come with an oil filter at all but some had a remote filter mounted up top in the compartment, possibly bolted to the engine up top.

Am I showing my age? lol

Richard

#10 · (Edited)
Richard, we called that a Road Draft Tube. I remember the old remote filter housing that was added on to alot of old cars and trucks. The old 283's had a canister filter on the block in the same location as every other small block but I remember the old 6 cylinders with the remote filter. When I was a kid working at a garage the boss handed me a roll of toilet paper and told me to "go change the oil in that pickup over there". I didn't clue in right away that the roll of toilet paper was the filter that went into one of those remote filter housings. We later would refer to it as a "Delsey Filter. Am I showing my age?

#12 ·
Especially if the new intake manifold interferes with the oil separator canister in the lifter valley.

#13 ·
Those were the good 'ole days, lol. I had several 55's and 56's. I'd get tired of my ride, find another body, usually for about $50. Swap my drivetrain into the new body and I'd have a new car. I'd sell off my old body for what I gave for the new one and I'd be even.

I once traded an 8 track tape deck for a 57 convertible that had quit running. It was sitting at the local Dr. Pepper plant parking lot. I went over and put a starter on it and drove it home, lol. Yeah, the good 'ole days.

Wish I were smarter then, lol.

Richard

#14 ·
I added a craigslist 500 CFM Eddy, a used speadbore 4BBL manifold and a set of headers/exhaust to mine when I first got it. Made a huge seat of the pants difference compared to the 2 BBL.

#18 ·
Eugene, I had completely forgotten about those toilet paper oil filters. Did a quick search, could it have been a 'Delsa' filter? I recall, when I worked at a gas station in the mid '60's a salesman stopping at the station and trying to sell them to my boss..A few people had them, I recall an old truck with dual canisters with paper filtering the oil..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.