Team Chevelle banner

Edelbrock 2 piece timing cover leak

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Antalamo 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has used one of these on a SB. I just finished priming my new engine with oil, and I noticed a small leak.... it's dripping out of one of the 3 little bolts at the bottom of the cover, the ones that hold the 2 pieces of the cover together.

Do you think I might be able to fix it with a little silicone on the outside of the cover? I'd really be unhappy if I had to remove the timing cover and all the accessories first to fix this leak..... :(

Any ideas? Thanks....

Chris

#4 ·
Just a follow up for others with 2-piece timing cover leaks....

I siliconed up the lowest bolt with red RTV, I tried to do a nice neat job without too much silicone. It still leaked. I then became less concerned about appearance, and gooped it up good. No leak! (but it's ugly....)

Then after another 15 min engine run time, BOTH the other two little bolts on the timing cover were leaking!!! :mad: This time I removed the flat washers, and tried a little o-ring under each nut instead of silicone. Worked great! I'd recommend trying an o-ring if you ever have this problem. It's far easier and neater than silicone. And I have a bag of 3 or 4 HUNDRED of the perfect o-rings. (i use them for work :) ) Let me know if you want a few of em!

chris

#5 ·
Chris, I know this is an old thread, but I sent you a PM about this issue you had with the 2 piece cover. I am having the same problem as you and wanted to try several options before pulling everything or going back to a stock cover. If your still a user on this site, can you PM me about how well your leak held up after you used those O rings. If you have a few extra, I could giver it a try myself. Thanks, Tony

#7 ·
Yeah, that's what I figured Tom. However, I did put a band aid on that leaking 2 piece Edelbrock timing cover with a bead of black RTV along the bottom radius of the cover where it meets the pan and it stopped leaking. It's a band aid for now but it's a good fix and you can't see the RTV unless you're up on it close. It'll be at least another year before I have reason to tear it apart and do it right. But if it holds, I'll run with it for now. Time will tell. That black RTV was a life saver.

#9 ·
Update: The original poster from 2005 did answer up in a PM. He said the o- rings or rubber washers he used worked for a bit but eventually started leaking again. From my last post, that bead of black RTV along the radius of the pan to the cover seems to be holding well. Time will tell.....:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.