How easy is it??? - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 15, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Jay

How easy is it???

Hello there, I would like to know if it is easy to drill and tap a hole in what I think is where the bellcrank ball stud threads into the side of the block. I will try to post some pictures & hope I don't have to re size them being I have no clue in how to do that. Pic one is a known 194 cid block & pic two is a 230 cid block that I think is from a Chevelle, casting #'s are 3877178 with suffix # code F0525CC the * CC * I have found in my Chilton's repair manuel coming from a year code 65-67 230 PG trans. My car (chevy II) is a manuel 3 on the tree car. This is why I would like to know if it is possible to drill & tap a hole for the bellcrank ball stud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 cyl 004.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	302249   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 cyl 005.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	302257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 15, 10:54 AM
Team Member
Broc

Re: How easy is it???

Should not be that tough. Get the engine level and get a drill with a level glass or LED's so you can hold it level and square. Tape a carpenters square nearby so you can watch it and keep yourself in the ball park. Tape the drill's so you don't go to deep. That is tape around the drill at the depth you want to stop.

What size and thread is the bell crank ball stud? Looks like 3/8 or 7/16 on first glance...

I'd work my way up in drill size. You'll maybe need two taps to get it done. A standard to do most of the threading work and a bottom tap to finish. Use lots of cutting oil for the drills and the taps
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 15, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrocLuno View Post
Should not be that tough. Get the engine level and get a drill with a level glass or LED's so you can hold it level and square. Tape a carpenters square nearby so you can watch it and keep yourself in the ball park. Tape the drill's so you don't go to deep. That is tape around the drill at the depth you want to stop.

What size and thread is the bell crank ball stud? Looks like 3/8 or 7/16 on first glance...

I'd work my way up in drill size. You'll maybe need two taps to get it done. A standard to do most of the threading work and a bottom tap to finish. Use lots of cutting oil for the drills and the taps
Not 7/16" or 3/8". It is a 1/2" x 1" deep, I haven't gone looking for my bell crank ball stud yet so I measured how deep it is and fitted some bolts and found the size that way. Was hoping I could do it at home & not have to take it to a machine shop, Thanks Broc.

Not a text guy just a phone guy

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 15, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Jay

Does anybody know what these holes are???
The same side location has 2 other holes just up & a little left, also with a larger hole on the left side rear of eng.(fin) at the right of the bell crank ball stud. My 194 didn't have these holes it was a ChevyII block though, this one I think is a Chevelle eng. All casting #'s & suffix code is up in my original post. I can't insert a pic of the engine so you will have to look at my original post from above, the eng that is dirty is the one to ID , Thanks, Jay

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 15, 7:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I don't know where your trying to drill a hole. The orange block already looks like it has the hole your referring to for the bell crank which would be the hole closest to where the bell housing will bolt up to and the other block has no casting material in that same area.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 15, 7:25 PM Thread Starter
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I don't know where your trying to drill a hole. The orange block already looks like it has the hole your referring to for the bell crank which would be the hole closest to where the bell housing will bolt up to and the other block has no casting material in that same area.
HKalin. I have a Chevy II that needs the engine. In my original post is two engines one is clean that is a Chevy II 194 eng with the mounting hole for the bellcrank ball stud at the bottom where the oil pan would meet the eng, that eng (no paint) is no good. The orange painted eng is the one that I ask if it could be Drilled & taped, got my answer for that. From you only half of my question was answered. That mounting hole you pointed to I guess is where the bellcrank ball would mount for the Chevelle eng. and that mounting hole doesn't do me any good in using my old Chevy II Clutch Bellcrank lever for my Chevy II. I am just going to use the Chevelle eng (orange eng.) in place of the Chevy II eng cause that eng is like being the next LOTO winner pretty much not going to happen. If you could answer the 2nd part of my last question for the two other holes just under the freeze plug that would be great, just curious in what mounts there? Thanks

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 4:34 PM Thread Starter
Jay

T T T please. question not answered yet for the two holes

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 7:57 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Why don't you make up a drill guide jig using the 194 block as a basis? Then bolt that jig to the 230 block and drill the hole. Then use that jig to also tap the hole straight. That way the ball stud geometry will be duplicated and correct. Rather than the hole being drilled by eye and ending up on the piss.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 8:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

I had some friends that had early Nova's in the 90's. A couple of them used later blocks that didn't have a provision for the ball in the same location as a factory Nova block. I recall they said someone made a bolt on adapter that would center the ball in the location as if it were a Nova block. They said they bought it at a specialty Nova supplier. It may be worth calling around to see if someone offers an adapter that will work for your application.

Good luck.

Steve R
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 8:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Does it really matter what the two holes were for since they're not even close to where you need the bell crank hole?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay gordon View Post
Does anybody know what these holes are???
The same side location has 2 other holes just up & a little left, also with a larger hole on the left side rear of eng.(fin) at the right of the bell crank ball stud. My 194 didn't have these holes it was a ChevyII block though, this one I think is a Chevelle eng. All casting #'s & suffix code is up in my original post. I can't insert a pic of the engine so you will have to look at my original post from above, the eng that is dirty is the one to ID , Thanks, Jay
Those two holes are for the clutch linkage on a pickup around the 64 65 vintage, I think. If I recall there was a bracket that bolted on there and then the pivot was on the middle of the bracket. It was kind of a U shape that moved the ball out from the block about 2.5-3 inches. I can not remember what the old vans used but I am pretty sure that is what the pickups used.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 1:24 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

there is a bolt on bracket. look at the Nova vendors.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 1:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

If you do decide to drill it, as mentioned above a fixture to locate the hole is the best way to go. Cast Iron is not that hard to drill and tap, but you do need to use lube and it has to be located spot on. You don't need a Machine Shop to do this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 2:34 AM
Tech Team
Larry

Hi , here is the bell crank in my sons 71 Nova with 250ci , if that doesn't suit the early nova you might have to build a bracket off the existing holes to get it closer , my 6 cylinder biscayne has a factory bracket off the engine with the ball stud attached,

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 4:04 PM
Tech Team
Larry

I didn't see before but Tom already mentioned there is a bolt on bracket available, that is the way to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.