Best cam with stock unmodified Vortec Heads? - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
waid

Best cam with stock unmodified Vortec Heads?

I have a 1977 olds omega with chevy 350 V8 smog motor. The factory service manual says it has 8.5:1 compression but from what I have read so far on the web, these smog engines actually have anywhere from 7.5:1 to 8:1 compression. Needless to say, the power really sucks from this motor. The car only has 37,000 miles on it so the bottom end is in fairly good condition. I am not looking for gobs of power and want to keep the transmissiona and rear end stock.

Does anyone know what is the best cam I can use with stock unmodified GM Vortec Heads?

I would greatly appreciate some sugesstions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu
Re: Best cam with stock unmodified Vortec Heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waid786 View Post
I have a 1977 olds omega with chevy 350 V8 smog motor. The factory service manual says it has 8.5:1 compression but from what I have read so far on the web, these smog engines actually have anywhere from 7.5:1 to 8:1 compression. Needless to say, the power really sucks from this motor. The car only has 37,000 miles on it so the bottom end is in fairly good condition. I am not looking for gobs of power and want to keep the transmissiona and rear end stock.

Does anyone know what is the best cam I can use with stock unmodified GM Vortec Heads?

I would greatly appreciate some sugesstions.

Thanks
I would recommend this cam http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=71&sb=0
Assuming your rear gears are around 3.08 or less this is the biggest cam I would get. Anything else will make your car a dog of the line. Plus those Vortec heads have a 460 or so limit on lift unless you have some machining done on them.

Be sure to follow proper break in procedure. There are 3 stickies that you need to read in the Performance section.

Bill
4 speed M20
3:42 posi
1/8 mile 8.6 @ 84mph not too impressive LOL
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...libu/Chevelle/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
waid

MrBill66Malibu,

With COMP Cams 252H (with 0.425 valve lift) or Summit K1103 Cam (Duration 272/282, Lift .442/.465), stock unmodified GM Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Performer EPS Vortec intake manifold and headers, Do you think I could achieve my goal of minimum 300 hp?

Thanks

Last edited by waid786; Dec 27th, 10 at 3:20 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 8:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu

I ran Comp cams simulator it claims 350 hp @ 5500rpm and 416 torque @ 3600rpm. I believe those numbers to be 10 to 20% high. So yes, you should be about 290 to 300 at the flywheel.

I have run many Summit cams 10+years ago and have not had one go flat. I am very leery today with all cheap cam cores to use a Summit cam today. I would spend the extra money on Comp.

Bill
4 speed M20
3:42 posi
1/8 mile 8.6 @ 84mph not too impressive LOL
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...libu/Chevelle/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 9:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

The Vortecs will raise your compression because they have a smaller (62-64cc) chamber. Your stock heads probably have a 76cc chamber. Also, Scoggin Dickey sells a valve spring/retainer upgrade for around $60 if you decide to go with a cam with more lift. The Vortecs also need a different intake and self guided rockers.

Jeff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 9:19 AM
Team Member
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
The Vortecs will raise your compression because they have a smaller (62-64cc) chamber. Your stock heads probably have a 76cc chamber. Also, Scoggin Dickey sells a valve spring/retainer upgrade for around $60 if you decide to go with a cam with more lift. The Vortecs also need a different intake and self guided rockers.

Jeff

Jeff is right. You can run the S-D parts, or aftermarket beehive springs and trick retainers, and run over .500" lift with those heads.

I'd look at the converter as the limiting factor here, instead of the heads.

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.