Timing Chain marks on BBC - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 2:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I recently got my shortblock back from the shop. I had a Cloyes true roller chain installed.
When I got it, the top gear (cam) was set with the mark at 6 o'clock, which is normal. But, the bottom was set with the mark at what looks like 9 o'clock and there was a mark that looks like the key hole (rectanglar) facing the twelve o'clock position.
I thought I took a picture. But, for some reason it didn't turn out and I've already installed the timing cover.

Ron
1972 El Camino SS 454 (original SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

It sounds like they installed the cam timing 4 degrees retarded. You might double-check with them for an explanation why. Some cams are ground with 4 degrees of advance and maybe they didn't want that for your combo, or maybe degreeing it required it to be retarded to get the intake centerline correct.

Jody
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yeah, I remember something about that when I was reading the box.
I don't think they're in today and I discovered it after they were closed yesterday. Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to ask.
My friend had mentioned it looked off when we picked up the engine. But, i never thought anything of it. He didn't notice the little key mark though (it was still in plastic). Since it's lined up with that mark, I figured it was some sort of an offset.

Ron
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here's a picture I found

My crank is set the same as the picture (you can see the rectangular mark at 12 o'clock). But, my cam is lined up with the dot at 6 o'clock.

Ron
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 3:30 PM
Team Member
Joe

The rectangle/square will yield the cam 2 degress(cam)/4 degress (crank retarded). Typically the only time you would consider this (cam retarded) is for too short duration with high compression. You better double check on this. Unless the cam you have is real small, you will want to run the cam straight up ( "0" on crank gear) or with additional advance. Depending on the cam make and duration, you would be best with the cam ICL of 104 - 106 degrees.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 6:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My engine is definitely not high compression. It's likely about 8.75:1. The duration is 280, which I believe is pretty typical.

Ron
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 7:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Only thing is, wouldn't that mean that 1 and 6 were not at TDC though?
Looking at this pic, you can see #6 is at the top

They are only .100 dome pistons. They took almost nothing off of the deck (the serial numbers are still mostly in tact). The crank and Rods are stock.

Is it possible they just put the crank gear on that way and the crank is still aligned?

Ron
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 12:41 AM
Team Member
Joe

You are going to want pull the crank gear off and reinstall it so that the crank keyway is pointing to about the 2 o'clock position and have the cam crank gear mark ( "o" for straight up , ^ for advanced). The mark on the cam sprocket should point down [6 o'clock position] when #1 cylinder is ready to fire. Both #1 & 6 will be a TDC at the same time. Personally I would set the cam at 106ICL, either straight up or advanced, whatever it takes.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 12:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by GRN69CHV:
You are going to want pull the crank gear off and reinstall it so that the crank keyway is pointing to about the 2 o'clock position and have the cam crank gear mark ( "o" for straight up , ^ for advanced). The mark on the cam sprocket should point down [6 o'clock position] when #1 cylinder is ready to fire. Both #1 & 6 will be a TDC at the same time. Personally I would set the cam at 106ICL, either straight up or advanced, whatever it takes.
=
Just being my picky self but #6 is on compression not #1 when the cam mark is down
And your piston will be at TDC regardless of which mark you use as you put the triangle, round or square mark straight up towards the cam depending on which mark you use at the keyway
In other words, you would use the rounded keyway slot on the crank key for the round mark on the outside of the gear.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 9:32 AM
Team Member
Joe

A short lesson - never discuss (well - hardly ever) anything after consuming an entire bottle of dark red wine at dinner - by yourself.

That said, Ron, check your #1 piston, it should be at TDC with the cam mark pointing down. You are probably going to want to pull them crank
gear and reinstall it. Also, what cam did you install?

One other thing to consider. If the block was not decked much, you can run the GM .022 head gasket and pick up fair amount of compression. You can check this fairly simple. If you have access to a dial gauge great, if not, place a metal straightedge over the piston flat area at TDC and measure with a feeler gauge. As long as you have .014 or more you can use the .022 gaskets. Using these picks up about .3 to .4 CR. Get them from any Chevy dealer for about $20.00.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfplace:
you would use the rounded keyway slot on the crank key for the round mark on the outside of the gear.
Oh, so, each of the three marks matches up with which keyway you choose? So, they must've used the tall rectangular keyway?

This guy sounds like he had a pretty bad problem with these marks:
http://www.hotrodders.com/t42146.html

Ron
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 9:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
check your #1 piston, it should be at TDC with the cam mark pointing down. You are probably going to want to pull them crank
gear and reinstall it. Also, what cam did you install?
Yeah, that's the way it looked when I got it. That mark was right at 6 and you can see the position of the pistons (1 and 6 at TDC).

Here's my cam. They (Dougans) picked it and installed it.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...t=CCA-11-208-3

I'll have to call them Monday and find out exactly what they did. I already installed the timing cover. But, it looks like I may have to pull it off.

Quote:

One other thing to consider. If the block was not decked much, you can run the GM .022 head gasket and pick up fair amount of compression. You can check this fairly simple. If you have access to a dial gauge great, if not, place a metal straightedge over the piston flat area at TDC and measure with a feeler gauge. As long as you have .014 or more you can use the .022 gaskets. Using these picks up about .3 to .4 CR. Get them from any Chevy dealer for about $20.00.
Heads are already on. The guy I got the engine from said that I would gain little from decking the block more or using smaller gaskets in terms of compression and HP. He said that the possible benefits of a thicker gasket would outweigh the benefits of the thinner one.
Anyway, I just went with the standard blue core Felpro gasket.

Ron
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 5:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

well those kinda people who say such things about decking or thinner gaskets or either lazy (dont want to do the work) or dont pay attention to the details that make the horspower one is looking for........and or is old and still dont understand the importance of the small details.......

and i tell ya, a .4 makes a difference in a motor specially when your dealing with one that is short for the cam that is being used.....that 230/230 cam needs some help in the comp. department.

and whats the benifit? of thicker gasket.....gm used them on stock cars for a lot of years ......so there is no durability problem.........and i used them all the time for cheap compression gain.......
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 04, 9:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I think he just didn't want to do the work, since my engine had already been there a few months and I think they like doing pure race stuff more.

As far as the gaskets, he had nothing to gain telling me to go with standard gaskets. So, I went that route. If it proves to be a problem, I can always change them later. (I am assuming I might notice a slight hesitation or somethign at lower RPMs?)

I was looking though and my numbers for my cam and compression are pretty similar to a 454 HO.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I'll call them tomorrow and see what they did with my timing (if they can remember).

Ron
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay, just got off of the phone. I'm still pretty new to the intricacies of camshafts and timing. But, I think he said it was degreed to 105. The camshaft has a lobe separation of 110. So, does that mean it's advanced 5 degrees or retarded?
He said it was set to zero and then degreed accordingly from there, based on my camshaft and the rest of my combo. So, that's why the marks aren't lined up. He has all of the information on my build in his records. So, it was done the way they think is correct and I haven't touched it. SO, I'll trust them, since they've been doing this for like 30 years and I have about 1 month of experience!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.