Balancing connecting rods - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Balancing connecting rods

I'm going to do a quick overhaul on a 350, and thought it might be a good idea to weigh the pistons and balance the connecting rods. There are special fixtures you can buy where you set them up to weigh both ends, but I don't want to buy one of those just for a cheap rebuild like this. I figure that the process is quite simple, as long as you can set up the rods and weigh them in a consistent way. Is it possible to do this without special tools?

1969 Malibu in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Balancing connecting rods

Unless you suspect a real balancing problem, I'd leave it alone. Even if you had a scale setup that would work, it costs money to have the pins pressed out and re-installed. If you're going to balance the rods, you'll want to resize them first.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

I'm planning on changing the pistons (I suspect that I have the dished low-comp type in it now) so the pins will have to come out anyway. I'm not going for a full balance job, blueprinting etc, this will just be kind of an exersise in how much you can improve an engine by doing as much work as possible yourself. Got the engine for free and just want to tinker with it.

1969 Malibu in progress
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Will the new pistons weigh the same as the old ones?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

I guess I won't know until I buy them. Why?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 4:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Piston weights figure into the balance also.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric W. Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
12.15 @ 112 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 5:02 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

there won't be any improvement at all if you just equalize the big and little end weight of the rods. If you're not going to have the assembly balanced in a balancing machine it's a complete waste of time jacking around with stuff like this. You could make the balance situation worse by taking weight off parts, maybe it needs heavier big ends to make the bob weight come out right?

If it were a flat four like a VW you could equalize all the rod and piston weights and then send the crank alone out to be spun. V-8's don't work like that at all.

Tom
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 5:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
If it were a flat four like a VW you could equalize all the rod and piston weights and then send the crank alone out to be spun. V-8's don't work like that at all.
I don't know much about balancing, so are you saying that factory V8 cranks are balanced as an assembly in the plant? In that case you can't even change pistons without re-balancing the whole assembly. Is that correct?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 5:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I don't know much about balancing, so are you saying that factory V8 cranks are balanced as an assembly in the plant? In that case you can't even change pistons without re-balancing the whole assembly. Is that correct?
If the new pistons are close to the same weight as the old ones you won't need to re-balance for an average driver motor.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
If the new pistons are close to the same weight as the old ones you won't need to re-balance for an average driver motor.
The engine I have is from an old farm truck, and I know that it has been rebuilt a couple of times by "the local experts" so I'm afraid to use the weight of the old pistons as a reference. Let's put it this way: I probably won't be surprised by anything I'll find when I take it apart, and the project can very well change from a quick overhaul to a complete rebuild, depending on what I find.

As I understand it, a complete balancing job includes weight balancing of the pistons and the rods, then balancing the complete assembly. I do want a cheap engine (alright, fairly cheap then), but would like to balance it anyway. This brings up my original question: If I can weight balance the pistons and the rods, I can leave the rest to a shop and save a few bucks, right? In that case: Are there any ingenious ways to do it myself without that fixture?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 10:17 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Olle,
This is the short version ..... the crankshaft itself is balanced to the weight of the parts that are attached to it. All the parts are weighed, then a formula is used to compute a "bob weight" then, special weights are made up that attach to the crankshaft. Then the crankshaft is balanced in a special machine similar to a tire balancer.

So just making all the parts the same weight will not help much, especially if the pistons are a different weight than the original ones. If you want to try and balance the rods yourself, go ahead, but you will probably not save enough to buy the balancing fixture.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

My pistons were equalized.The rods were resized..then the same.The bob-weight was calculated and the crank was polished and balanced for $300.
This is cheap insurance and a reasonable cost...considering the expense the machine shop has invested in the equipment and the operator.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 10:39 PM
Tech Team
x

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve340

The cool thing is, have you ever been in a car, with a well built balanced engine?

Have to use crank, rods, pistons, flywheel ( for ext balanced ) Harmonic balancer Smooth as all get out man

Steve

There's no Replacement for Displacement!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Paul

Right!! SMOOTH!!

My old junk301 UNBALANCED AS ALL get-out had at least three harmonic's it went through going up to 7,000 rpm and higher!!

I could pretty much tell my rpm by them at speed!

AND it had a bad habit of throwing a damper going down the highway running 55 to 60 mph or so SO BALANCE THE SOB AND DO IT A FAVOR!!

It will last a long time...

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
If you want to try and balance the rods yourself, go ahead, but you will probably not save enough to buy the balancing fixture.
Yeah, I will, if someone would just tell me how to do it without the fixture.

1969 Malibu in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.