Setting toe at home

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chevy67 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

What the best way to set toe at home?

possible to do accurately wheels straight or "toed" in some

Thanks for any info

#2 ·
If the track widths are the same, I like to use string from the back wheels to set the toe. If they're not the same, you can either measure in from the string to the tire or compensate by adding material to shim the narrower track. You'll need to split whatever the toe setting is and use 1/2 per side.

#3 ·
If they are close. Jack up the car, Scribe a line near the center ( of the tire tread on both wheels). Set it down on the floor ,,Bounce it a time or two.
Measure the Scribe Mark that you made on the tire tread, At the rear of the front tires and at the front of the tires, Then do your math! (radials, Close to ZERO tow///// BIAS--- 1/8"--3/16" will work.)
Also you can make a tram to check if the rear end and spindles are the same distance apart.
Lot of ways to get it close enough to get it to the """ Alignment shop. """.
Bob
If possible, Put it back together as it was, " A " arm shims & position of tie rod sleeves.

#4 ·
I made an adjustable pointer bar. Scribe a line near the center of the tire with a silver sharpie as directed above. Bounce and roll the car forward and backward center the pointer on the rear line and then move to the front and measure the difference positive or negative and halve the measurement. Make adjustments as necessary and take it to a competent alignment shop.

Reactions: temp2c
#5 ·
I made a pointer bar too but once I get everything ironed out I have it put on a rack..

You will never get that car aligned as nice as an alignment rack with somebody who knows how to use it..

Make sure you change the caster from negative to positive with radials..

#6 ·
That's why I said take it to a competent alignment shop. The pointer bar get it good enough to drive out of the garage and to the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.