Best Disc Brake Upgrade from drums? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 13, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
F

Best Disc Brake Upgrade from drums?

Good Evening to everyone!

My question is what would be the best disc brake upgrade from drums. What would i need besides the whole kit if anything? I have a 1970 chevelle SS 468 (clone) that has drums front and back. Looking to get a whole kit that has everything needed out of the box( Drilled and slotted). Price is not really a big deal but would like to get some opinions from different owners that have made the upgrade. I currently have 225/60/r15 on the front and 275/50/r15 on the rear. The rims are Cragger SS. In advance i appreciate all your knowledge and experiences you have to offer.

FIGHT BSL
Protect America's True Dog
The American Pitbull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Best Disc Brake Upgrade from drums?

the options available to fit 15" wheels is pretty limited. You can get some pretty good brakes to fit inside of a 15" wheel if your willing to spend the money and do a lot of R&D. You could look at Wilwood or Baer. Baer might be the more street friendly version as they come with dust boots where as Wilwood's do not. Drilled and slotted rotors are not hardcore brake rotors, but I am guessing you don't plan to track day the car. Another thing to keep in mind is that a kit with some 4 piston calipers and 11 x 0.81 rotors typically won't give much if any increase in stopping performance over the stock GM setup. However it will be significantly lighter.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 1:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

With 15inch rims, why not just put stock GM A body discs on front and maybe F body discs on back, with an 11 inch delco moraine booster. That setup will be reasonable in price, easy to procure and plumb, will fit without issues. Yes, it will be miles better than your stock drums/drums.

Not criticizing your tire choice either, but if you're running 15 inch wheels, you're obviously not auto-crossing your car. Maximum-competition disc performance is probably not called for here, correct?

Why spend crazy big money on high end aftermarket stuff when the GM stuff will get it done?

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 2:46 AM
Tech Team
Larry

Hi , I just went with a kit from Australian company hoppers stoppers for my 66 el camino , billet steel hubs , uses 300mm rotors (12 inch) and pbr twin piston calipers ,laser cut brackets and new hoses, pushes out the wheels only the thickness of the rotor http://www.hoppers.com.au/. Fits 15" wheels , I know there is cheaper American kits , and this maybe not for you but I like it , http://www.hoppers.com.au/complete%2...007/index.html

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 5:13 AM
Tech Team
Jesse

I've got a MBM kit on my 67, actually it's re branded by Performance world for a better price. Kit was reasonably priced at $440 cdn if I recall, w/o a booster. I believe you can get drilled/slotted rotors as well.

67 Beaumont

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 10:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

You also have to be careful even with some kits that clear 15" wheels. I put the right stuff detailing rear disc conversion on my 70 and it clears my 15x10" Billet Specialties Street Lites but would not even come close to clearing the Wheel Vintiques 50 series 15x10" SS style wheels.

70 Chevelle
496 cu. in. "cruiser"
Assembled & Tuned by Mo's Speed Shop Dallas, GA
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 11:08 AM
Chris

I used the Right Stuff Detailing on my 65 front and rear and they fit with out any issue. They offer drilled & slotted rotors and p/c calipers with lots of different booster options.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:13 PM
Gold Founding Member

I have used The Right Stuff Detailing Disc Brake kits on a few of my cars. I highly recommend them.

www.getdiscbrakes.com

Tory
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Camaro
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof ~ SOLD
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 2:09 PM
Team Member
Dan

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
the options available to fit 15" wheels is pretty limited. You can get some pretty good brakes to fit inside of a 15" wheel if your willing to spend the money and do a lot of R&D. You could look at Wilwood or Baer. Baer might be the more street friendly version as they come with dust boots where as Wilwood's do not. Drilled and slotted rotors are not hardcore brake rotors, but I am guessing you don't plan to track day the car. Another thing to keep in mind is that a kit with some 4 piston calipers and 11 x 0.81 rotors typically won't give much if any increase in stopping performance over the stock GM setup. However it will be significantly lighter.
This, only I believe when using factory components disks are heavier than drums.

Also keep in mind that drilled rotors actually reduce the friction area, thus requiring more pedal pressure to achieve the same stopping distance. Softer compound pads will help.

Awww, fer cyrin out loud, it's that IMPALA guy again.
If I recall correctly my memory is excellent. My ability to access it is not.
SS 396 4sp
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 2:17 PM
Tech Team
Mark

CPP sells quality reasonably priced brake components .
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Liam

Garage

I did a 4 wheel disc brake conversion on my '66 Malibu and used the Right Stuff Detailing kit. I think I bought it through Classic Muscle. I am very happy with the quality, all the required parts were included, and the instructions were good as well.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 13, 9:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

I put a SSBC front disc brake kit on my car
http://ssbrakes.com/
the kit came with everything I needed

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51 Option
Rebuilt 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ Strange S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best in street dress in 2014/9/7
60' = 1.77 1/8 = 7.88 et / 88 mph
1/4 = 12.34 et / 110 mph
New Best in street dress on 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 13, 9:28 AM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

Unless you are auto crossing and truly need race quality braking time after time, I agree with Coolblueglow in that the GM parts, A body fronts and F body rears, will be more than adequate. If the engine doesn't make at least 13/14 in. of vacuum, a hydroboost will clamp everything down hard compared to a vacuum booster. This is my set up on the 65 and has proven to be one of the best mods I have done to it. Huge difference in $$ if you can do most of parts procurement and assembly. Ed

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 13, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
F

Cool Re: Best Disc Brake Upgrade from drums?

Good day everyone
I listened to a lot of your recommendations and looked for some factory disc brakes as i am pretty sure i will keep the 15s for a while! I have found some hopefully any one doesn't take the rug out from under my feet. I am leaving the links so i can get your opinions and also see if it is worth it. My questions are ;would i need anything else? would they bolt right on? What would be the best way to get them clean (wire Brush, degreaser, and black spray paint)? Look forward to hearing your ideas and thoughts! Appreciation in advance

1964-1972 Chevelle Disk Brake Setup

http://greenville.en.craigslist.org/pts/4196667660.html

Complete FRONT Disk Brake Setup for 64-72 Chevelle or any other GM midsize Car. Original GM Parts to fully convert a front drum brake Muscle car, DO SETTLE FOR CHINESE AFTERMARKET JUNK!!! Those kits are $700+ and will never be as good as original GM ...

1964-1972 GM A-body Disc Brakes Chevelle GTO 442 GS Lemans Cutlass

http://greenville.en.craigslist.org/pts/4229917955.html

Complete disc brake setup for GM A-body cars. Removed from a running, driving car. These parts are dirty, etc, but fully functional. Includes booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and spindles with calipers and rotors. Fits Chevelle, El Cam ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
With 15inch rims, why not just put stock GM A body discs on front and maybe F body discs on back, with an 11 inch delco moraine booster. That setup will be reasonable in price, easy to procure and plumb, will fit without issues. Yes, it will be miles better than your stock drums/drums.

Not criticizing your tire choice either, but if you're running 15 inch wheels, you're obviously not auto-crossing your car. Maximum-competition disc performance is probably not called for here, correct?

Why spend crazy big money on high end aftermarket stuff when the GM stuff will get it done?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 13, 5:44 PM
Team Member
Mike

Garage

I dont know about best, but I went with the kit from Ground Up.
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...CONVERSIONKITS

1971 Chevelle Triple Black
VortecPro 496, 9.8/1 comp. 049 heads 2.25/1.88 valves, 238@.050 Isky Roller, Eddy Air Gap, Holley HP1000, TH400, ATI converter, 12 Bolt, 3.42 Posi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.