Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I know - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 12, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 111
Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I know

Okay, residual pressure valves contradictions I've read ...

1. I've heard, - rpv's are necessary with drum brakes ... but, ..."most replacement master cylinders don't have them" so, why are they in original master cylinders but not in replacements ??
2. I've heard, - rpv's hold the brake shoes out for more immediate braking response ... but ... I've also heard that they don't hold enough pressure to overcome the return springs (this makes sense to me because old time racers would switch out their discs for drum brakes to reduce drag) ...
3. I've seen posts where it is mentioned that someone's new master cylinder isn't even machined to be able to fit a "RPV" inside ... how can that be if they're necessary on drum brakes ??
4. I've seen posts and tech articles say that the purpose of the residual pressure valve is not to hold out the brake shoes, nor to make their response more immediate , ...but, it's to keep air from entering the wheel cylinders ... this also makes no sense to me ...can it be true that air will pull itself back into the wheel cylinders without the residual pressure ???
I have an "el-cheapo" parts store rebuilt "4-drum" master cylinder from 1993 lying around ... can i tear into it to look for residual pressure valves? ... if I find them, can I pull the valves out to use in a new master cylinder's drum brake circuit?? ...


what are the real answers to these mysterious questions ???!!!

Phil - N.C.O.A member # 8500
69 chevelle 25 years is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 6:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

An RPV maintains 8-16 psi in the rear drum system to overcome the shoe pull-back springs and allows the shoes to stay out close to the drums for instant response to fluid pressure. Racers changed from discs to drums for weight reduction. Your theory on drag applies to gravity.

Rhetorical: Should air be able to enter a wheel cylinder with good seals?

Some people are receiving MCs with no RPVs. Why? Ask the vendor, they're supposed to know what they are. A vendor should supply you with the proper MC if you state it's a disc/drum system. RPVs come in an MC rebuild kit but you should not have to install them yourself if the vendor has a clue.

More information is in this thread http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2938.0 Other correct info on brake components can be found at CRG also. The vendors refer to parts incorrectly. Pay attention to what John Z writes.

Last edited by Raven1; May 16th, 12 at 6:47 AM.
Raven1 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wimberley, TX (SW of Austin)
Posts: 2,643
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Interesting.....

My "complete" front disc conversion kit did not come with an RPV for the rear drums. Yet, when you visit the manufacturer's website, they recommend the use of an add-on RPV just aft of the proportioning valve on the rear brake line especially IF THE MASTER CYLINDER IS INSTALLED LOWER THAN THE BRAKE CYLINDERS.

I haven't installed and operated the conversion yet so I have no clue as to the importance of the RPV.

'66 SS 396 #'s match/ POP - Aztec Bronze / Bronze Interior
'66 SS 454 Cortez Silver / Maroon Interior
'37 Chevy Coupe 235 Straight 6 - Cabana Cream`
'55 Chevy Gasser - 427, 4 speed
dream66 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,015
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

I've used residual check valves when I built street rods with the master cylinder under the floor. I've never used one on a setup with a firewall mounted MC. When the MC is under the floor, brake fluid bleeds back into the mc and the wheel cylinders and calipers require more travel for the first stop after a few minutes of driving. I don't remember the numbers, but seems like I used a 6lb on the back and a 2lb on the front. I learned to solve all those problems by mounting the master cylinder on the firewall, where it was designed to be. Gravity then keeps the lines full of fluid and enough pressure to fill the wheel cylinders and calipers. Once I made that change, I always had a brake pedal at the top of travel in both street rods and have never had a problem with any other car I've built. Much simpler system and no ad on's to correct flaws in the basic design of the brake system.
oktunes is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 9:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
Interesting.....

My "complete" front disc conversion kit did not come with an RPV for the rear drums. Yet, when you visit the manufacturer's website, they recommend the use of an add-on RPV just aft of the proportioning valve on the rear brake line especially IF THE MASTER CYLINDER IS INSTALLED LOWER THAN THE BRAKE CYLINDERS.

I haven't installed and operated the conversion yet so I have no clue as to the importance of the RPV.
An RPV is supposed to be in the port for the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktunes View Post
I've used residual check valves when I built street rods with the master cylinder under the floor. I've never used one on a setup with a firewall mounted MC. When the MC is under the floor, brake fluid bleeds back into the mc and the wheel cylinders and calipers require more travel for the first stop after a few minutes of driving. I don't remember the numbers, but seems like I used a 6lb on the back and a 2lb on the front. I learned to solve all those problems by mounting the master cylinder on the firewall, where it was designed to be. Gravity then keeps the lines full of fluid and enough pressure to fill the wheel cylinders and calipers. Once I made that change, I always had a brake pedal at the top of travel in both street rods and have never had a problem with any other car I've built. Much simpler system and no ad on's to correct flaws in the basic design of the brake system.
Did you or did you not use an RPV when the disc/drum MC is in the stock location on these cars? If not, explain why they are there and why you think they are not necessary. If I am understanding your statement correctly. Did you look at the photo of an RPV in the link I posted? Gravity has nothing to do with it's operation.
Raven1 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 2:36 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,551
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
An RPV maintains 8-16 psi in the rear drum system to overcome the shoe pull-back springs and allows the shoes to stay out close to the drums for instant response to fluid pressure.
NO. NOT TRUE.

The residual pressure does NOT overcome the shoe return springs. The shoes ALWAYS RETURN TO THE ANCHOR PIN.

Adjusting the shoes for proper shoe-to-drum clearance is done by the BRAKE ADJUSTER not by the residual pressure valve.

The whole point of a metering valve in the front disc brake circuit is to hold-off pressure to the discs until rear brake pressure is high enough to overcome return spring tension. 16 psi is not enough to do this.

Please stop posting this misinformation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Rhetorical: Should air be able to enter a wheel cylinder with good seals?
Define "good seals".

There is no garter spring on a wheel cylinder seal/cup. The only thing preventing air entry past the cup lip is the radial force supplied by the cup design/material, and the fluid pressure forcing the cup lip outward.

Newer cups/seals perhaps have more radial force/more efficient seal lips than earlier cups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Some people are receiving MCs with no RPVs. Why? Ask the vendor, they're supposed to know what they are. A vendor should supply you with the proper MC if you state it's a disc/drum system. RPVs come in an MC rebuild kit but you should not have to install them yourself if the vendor has a clue.

More information is in this thread http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2938.0 Other correct info on brake components can be found at CRG also. The vendors refer to parts incorrectly. Pay attention to what John Z writes.
John Z is wrong.

Photos/scans coming as soon as I can process and upload them. Please give me a few minutes.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?

Last edited by Schurkey; May 16th, 12 at 3:36 PM.
Schurkey is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 3:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,551
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno





Section 2-7: Note that fast release of brake pedal can cause momentary vacuum in the system. This is a situation that can encourage air entry at the wheel cylinders.




(Note at end of) Section 2-9: RPV "Check Valve" eliminated in '70 model year.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Schurkey is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 3:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,551
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

It has been suggested on another thread that the RPV "check valve" was transferred to the proportioning valve/combination valve.

The Delco manual does not specifically support this belief. I can NOT find evidence that the later systems had an RPV ANYWHERE in the system.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Schurkey is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 3:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wimberley, TX (SW of Austin)
Posts: 2,643
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Really good authoritative post. Thanks loads.

'66 SS 396 #'s match/ POP - Aztec Bronze / Bronze Interior
'66 SS 454 Cortez Silver / Maroon Interior
'37 Chevy Coupe 235 Straight 6 - Cabana Cream`
'55 Chevy Gasser - 427, 4 speed
dream66 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
NO. NOT TRUE.

The residual pressure does NOT overcome the shoe return springs. The shoes ALWAYS RETURN TO THE ANCHOR PIN.

Adjusting the shoes for proper shoe-to-drum clearance is done by the BRAKE ADJUSTER not by the residual pressure valve.

The whole point of a metering valve in the front disc brake circuit is to hold-off pressure to the discs until rear brake pressure is high enough to overcome return spring tension. 16 psi is not enough to do this.

Please stop posting this misinformation.




Define "good seals".

There is no garter spring on a wheel cylinder seal/cup. The only thing preventing air entry past the cup lip is the radial force supplied by the cup design/material, and the fluid pressure forcing the cup lip outward.

Newer cups/seals perhaps have more radial force/more efficient seal lips than earlier cups?



John Z is wrong.

Photos/scans coming as soon as I can process and upload them. Please give me a few minutes.
I know what a hold-off valve does. I never mentioned it's operation. I also never stated the RPV was used to adjust shoes.

If there is line pressure of 8-10 PSI between the check valve and brake wheel cylinder cups, isn't that pressure in opposition to spring pressure? I also did not think air was supposed to enter a wheel cylinder if the components were adjusted properly and in good condition.

I was under the impression his information was correct due to his background. Perhaps any info posted should be regarded as 100% false unless completely validated by numerous sources. I generally never believe anything I read. In John's case I assumed it was correct. It would seem best to doubt everyone as a precautionary measure. Thanks for posting the copy of the manual.

Last edited by Raven1; May 16th, 12 at 4:32 PM.
Raven1 is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
It has been suggested on another thread that the RPV "check valve" was transferred to the proportioning valve/combination valve.

The Delco manual does not specifically support this belief. I can NOT find evidence that the later systems had an RPV ANYWHERE in the system.
What thread? I would not think an RPV would be moved from an MC to a combination valve.
Raven1 is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 4:52 PM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 10,551
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I know what a hold-off valve does. I never mentioned it's operation.
Correct. I mentioned it as further proof that the RPV doesn't keep the shoes near the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I also never stated the RPV was used to adjust shoes.
You stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
An RPV maintains 8-16 psi in the rear drum system to overcome the shoe pull-back springs and allows the shoes to stay out close to the drums for instant response to fluid pressure.
What is that if it isn't adjusting the shoe-to-drum clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
If there is line pressure of 8-10 PSI between the check valve and brake wheel cylinder cups, isn't that pressure in opposition to spring pressure?
Yes, it opposes spring pressure (tension). You therefore have a situation where ~16 psi opposes ~50+ psi. Which results in the shoes coming to rest on the anchor pin unless there's something wrong with the brake mechanism such as an over-tensioned or seized park-brake cable; or the shoes are hung-up on the grooves worn into the brake backing-plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I also did not think air was supposed to enter a wheel cylinder if the components were adjusted properly and in good condition.
Yes. Air "shouldn't" enter the system. Apparently, with the master under the floor (siphon effect-fluid over-fills the reservoir) or on the firewall but with marginal wheel cylinder cups, air DOES get into the system past the wheel cylinder seals. This might be made worse if the "venting" described in the Delco manual--where fluid from the reservoir bypasses the master cylinder cup(s) under momentary vacuum--isn't effective; perhaps because it's -30 below and the rubber cups are stiff and the fluid is cold and thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I was under the impression his information was correct due to his background. Perhaps any info posted should be regarded as 100% false unless completely validated by numerous sources. I generally never believe anything I read. In John's case I assumed it was correct. It would seem best to doubt everyone as a precautionary measure. Thanks for posting the copy of the manual.
Life's good. We're OK. Happy to put this issue to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
What thread? I would not think an RPV would be moved from an MC to a combination valve.
Doing a quick search. I read about RPVs in the combo valve fairly recently, but this thread is many years old. It's not the one I remember. Post #8.
10 lb residual valve for drums????

Even older--Post #2
Change the Proportioning Valve?

From 2010--Post #3
Running brake lines. what do i need?

None of these posts is the one I "sort of" remember reading recently--but--they all claim that there's an RPV somewhere else in the brake system.

I'll continue to look...

[Edit 1]
This is interesting. Post 2--cup expanders. Completely forgot about the spring windings!
Can I use Disc/drum master and booster on drum/drum at the wheels

[Edit 2] I give up. I can't find a recent post about RPVs in the combo valve. Maybe it was on another forum.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?

Last edited by Schurkey; May 16th, 12 at 5:27 PM.
Schurkey is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 5:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,015
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

It's starting to hurt my head to read all this!!

Scott, I used inline residual check valves when I built street rods with the MC under the floor, the MC basically at or below the level of the rear wheel cylinders and front calipers, these are disc/drum combos. I think the pressure listing was different for the drum or disc lines. These valves held the fluid in the line and kept them from siphoning/draining back into the MC. I know without the valves the pedal was near the floor after not using the brakes for awhile.
With the check valves, the pedal remained near the the top and evidently the lines remained full of fluid and also the wheels cylinders and calipers. These are separate/inline valves. Bought from the Ray Godman brake company and were installed on his advice from discussions at a seminar on brakes at the Street Rod Nats many years ago. If there are any check valves in my newer rides, they are integral to the MC as there is nothing I installed in them.

Whatever pressure they hold, I can't imagine they overcome drum brake return springs. Only that they can keep stop any siphoning effect when the brakes are released. I could be wrong.
oktunes is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 7:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

There is a misunderstanding here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1
I also never stated the RPV was used to adjust shoes.


Shurkey: "You stated:"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1
An RPV maintains 8-16 psi in the rear drum system to overcome the shoe pull-back springs and allows the shoes to stay out close to the drums for instant response to fluid pressure.


Shurkey: "What is that if it isn't adjusting the shoe-to-drum clearance?"

I was talking about physically adjusting the shoes when you install them, not using an RPV for adjustment.
Raven1 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 16th, 12, 7:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 4,038
Re: Residual Pressure Valves (RPV's)...the more I read, the less I kno

It's possible in that link I posted John merely misstated his info and nobody caught it. It happens. I find it hard to believe with his background he's clueless.

Matt, Got ya.
Raven1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome