Low Drag Calipers for 72 - Chevelle Tech

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
Tom

Low Drag Calipers for 72

Is there a low drag caliper from a later year GM that will work on a 72. I have already retrofited a takeup (stepped bore) master cylinder from an S-10.

If not ,who has experience with spring spacing the brake pads for lower disc resistance.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 9:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: Low Drag Calipers for 72

This is an interesting topic and I suspect that you are the first to bring it up here. The master cylinder would be a necessary change as the pedal travel on the stock system seems a bit long to me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian Gooding

Anybody?

66 Chevelle SS
496ci, Pump gas, no dominator, no spool, no electric fuel pump, no electric water pump, no big tires, full interior. N/A.
6.21 @ 109.7
9.82 @ 134.9

9.87 pass/grudge match http://youtu.be/Au6Lq7rH9Ak

"Keep your hopes up and your pedal down"....Rowdy
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 2:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

that is a good question,,I got lucky on 2 cars i have owned the best one was a 78 nova,,just over 400,000 miles on the original calipers .

i was going to change them because they had a bit of slack in them and would not hold pressure against the rotor ...was extremely easy to push,
Then it hit me,, leave it alone.
I could give it a small nudge when in the staging lanes and it would just keep rollin..and i watched all others push quite hard, with 2 people sometimes, on their cars....advantage goes to my wore out stuff.

another reason i will not go with rear discs in a drag car..

Something for me to think about....how to make them that way when new
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Denny

The «return spring» for a caliper is the piston seal. Careful design of this part gives the appropriate piston retraction.

The low-drag calipers must be used with the quick take-up m/c to be appreciated. Mixing low-drag components with standard components seems to be a bad idea. (see AlliedSignal alert)

See p.5 of this Cardone m/c training to understand how QTU m/c works.

As for identifying the low-drag calipers, it appears that the bolt spacing is the best indicator. There is a test proposed by Master Power brakes also; but I think this test only tells you if you have a QTU m/c or not. More info here. If the OEM m/c of a car is a QTU m/c (easily identifiable), then it also have low-drag calipers. Just find the model that fits your brake system.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 2:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

1981 Camaros & Firebirds have low drag calipers with quick-takeup master cylinders (power brake version only). Note the diameter on the back of the master cylinder is bigger than the earlier ones so you would need the booster from the same car. The calipers will bolt up to the Chevelle bracket (single piston style of course), the hose orientation may be a little different from what I have heard.

2012 Camaro SS
03 Suburban 2500 8.1L - Tow Pig
75 MGB - eternal project
67 El Camino - Sold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 11, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian Gooding

Looks like alot of interchangeability in the D52 pad calipers.
Newer Astro vans use them also, up to 2002. I would think these would be using low drag calipers......Just need the metric banjo bolts.
Same cardone # for the 80-90's full size gm's.
Same 2 15/16 piston diameter.
I am already using a mid 80's manual brake s-10 master, so I should be good for the master......
I can't believe there aren't more poeple out here looking to free up the front brakes over the stock calipers?

66 Chevelle SS
496ci, Pump gas, no dominator, no spool, no electric fuel pump, no electric water pump, no big tires, full interior. N/A.
6.21 @ 109.7
9.82 @ 134.9

9.87 pass/grudge match http://youtu.be/Au6Lq7rH9Ak

"Keep your hopes up and your pedal down"....Rowdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.