Incredible!!! - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Incredible!!!

So I got my 72 Malibu back from the shop about two days ago and its like driving a new car now. I had a Tom Lee 800 series steering box along with opgis front and rear sway bar kit (including the boxed control arm kit) installed. All of this was the finishing touches to a few other things that Ive done to the suspension including rebuilding the front end with CPPs kit, converting from manual drums to power discs also using CPP including 2 drop spindles, putting in Edelbrock shocks, Eibach springs, and CPPs tubular upper control arms. All of these upgrades have stepped up my handling and ride so much that its unbelievable. When I bought my car about 3 years ago the suspension and handling of the car was horrible. Part of it was just the nature of the beast but other problems came from years of neglect and 35yr old technology. So after getting tired of feeling like I had no control of my car and feeling like I could wreck at any given second I did my research on this forum and elsewhere and 3 years later (and a whole lot of dollars later too!) I can finally say that Im satisfied with my handling. So I thought Id just give my recipe for success to anyone else that might be trying to do the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 4:46 PM
Team Member
Mike

Re: Incredible!!!

Cool! I used CPP'S(Matt's Classic Bowties) disc kit as well and re-did the entire suspension. Went from power assisted drums to cross drilled/slotted disc up fron stock rear and it def. stops a whole lot better now. Quick ratio gear box and new spring/shocks/tires also help out the situation.

HEAVY CHEVY
350-TH350-12B3.73
14.23@95.76
Can Am Chevelle member #12
TC #1166
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 4:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

isn't it great that with just a few bolt on parts, you can have a 35 year old car that feels like something you just drove off a new car lot a week ago?
my Nova was like that- and i only had about $1000 into the suspension (stock Moog replacement parts with stiffer Moog springs)and brakes (12" C4 Corvette fronts) on that car and used $15 shocks from NAPA.
i'm thinking of getting one of those new steering boxes for my Monte, and of course getting stiffer springs and new bushings and what not for it, as well. it rides nice now, but handling isn't exactly stellar.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 2:14 PM
Tech Team
Sid

I just did the Tom Lee gear box swap its awsome aint it.

Sid
67 Chevelle
ZZ454
TKO 600
3:70 Moser 9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.