Breaking in cams with Ceramic coated headers - Chevelle Tech
2005 General Tech Forum from 2005

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Breaking in cams with Ceramic coated headers

I have heard that you shouldn't do this but I was wondering if anyone has and if it has done any damage to the ceramic coating? I would hate to have to buy another set of headers to just break a cam and motor in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 1:06 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Breaking in cams with Ceramic coated headers

I've read warnings by header makers to not use such headers for cam break in. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I would think that the ceramic coating would allow the headers to withstand much higher temperatures. The warning suggested using old headers or exhaust manifolds for break in, but what am I supposed to do when I am building a car from scratch and don't have either readily available and I'll be darned if I'm going to buy a cheap set of headers just for the break in!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 1:16 PM
Tech Team

I thought you just couldn't breakin the cam when it's the first time the headers have been run, because you could damage the coating?!

355- Holley Stealth Ram. Lunati Solid 241/249@.050 .555/.576 lift(1.6) 110LSA, Holley Commander 950, 30lbSVOInj, Richmond 4.33, Ford 9" Truetrac, MSD 6AL/Chrome Coil. Pro Topline Iron 200cc/66cc Heads. T56 6 Speed. Spec Stage II Clutch. SFI Scattershield/Lakewood.

"Engines don't read books."
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 1:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Well, I will be able to let you know probably after this weekend what happens. I have been building a fairly nice 355 for a friends 87 olds 442 and am hoping to fire it up this weekend and break in the cam. I put dynomax coated headers on the car and the only way the headers are going on or off is with the motor hanging above it. Their is no way possible to get the headers back off this one now, without pulling the motor and thats not happening.

Wish me luck on this one

Jeff

69 Chevelle 505 686 hp/ 663 ft lbs tq TKO600 12 bolt 3.73 Yup, it's a handful alright!!!

2007 Trailblazer SS 364CI LS2 475hp 4L70E AWD with 4.10's front and rear!!! Daily Drivin' grocery getter

2006 Cadillac CTS-V, Luxury, handling, power Does it get any better??
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 1:59 PM
Team Member
Joe

I have used Hedman Elite headers on 2 cars - Hedman states the same thing. I have pretreated each set of header prior to install - hang them up by the collectors and run a propane torch (MAP gas if you have it is hotter) in each tube until nice and hot, just make sure to keep the torch moving to distribute the heat. Then let cool and install. Also, when firing up the new motor, unless you have the mixture well off or the motor is overheating, it shouldn't make a huge difference. If it does get too hot, just shut it down, let it cool and resume your break-in time when cooled. ie - 20 minute cam break in time doesn't mean that you have to run it for an entire 20 minute period without shutting down, it means that you don't let it idle until it has 20 minutes running time.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 2:07 PM
Tech Team

I just broke in by 454 with a new set of hedman elite with the coating. It didn't bother them at all.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 2:14 PM
Team Member
Vegas TC Ambassador

From what I understand, the coating needs to "cure" with variable temp cycles (moderate heat, cool, repeat). Supposedly the high temperatures at break in cause the coating to appear dull permanently.

I thought that I was going to have the same situation, I was considering breaking it in with the carb a little on the fat side. Maybe that would minimize the header tube heat. Makesure that you have plenty of advance too, retarded timing will cause the headers to glow on break in.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Martin
I just broke in by 454 with a new set of hedman elite with the coating. It didn't bother them at all.
Same here no problems with the coating.

Fulltime Diesel mechanic,
Light'em up and Burn'em down.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

just run the motor for a few minutes and then kill it. let them cool down. then run again, real easy

71 formula firebird, , 468; AFR rectangle port, 11-1 compression, Isky solid roller 290/294,...600+HP, Viper T56 six speed, 19" CCW rims, Hydroboost, C5 corvette brakes.
http://formula454.com

2001 Honda F4I 600 Track bike
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 2:48 PM
Tech Team

Make sure you have enough timing in it and you'll be fine. If you start it up with the timing retarded and try and break it in that way the coating will be toast.

Then when you start spraying a bunch of nitrous on it, you can watch them crinkle when you get a little lean. Arghh.

1971 Nova
DragStuff.com
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 4:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone for your input.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 4:18 PM
Tech Team
Michael

Well I read all the warning ahead of time, and even took appropriate pre-cautions. What else to do, I didn't have any junk headers to use. Well I burned mine up quite well. BUT, I donít really feel to blame nor was it the coating. I did my start up and tried to time, tune, and watch everything all by myself, all while managing the throttle and do the appropriate adjustments. I later found my main problem with the timing chain/gears were off by three teeth. Not necessarily the ceramic coating problem, but more my fault (I guess, even though I didn't install the gears). I wish I would have spent the extra expense and found some junk headers.

Point being, I next time I won't take the chance. It only took a few minutes to realize it's too late. Lessen learned for me. It can and is done all the time, just not with my luck.

Good luck and hope the best for you,

MJ

68 Camaro - gutted for rebuild
65 Chevelle 300 - big block driver-YAHOO
63 Corvair van - down by the river
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 5:03 PM
Tech Team

Been there. done that, it DOES damage the coating.

78 Malibu, 357 SBC, Dart pro 1 230cc, custom solid flat tappet, Ron's 4 shooter alcohol injection,
Powergide, TCI 5200-5700 8", Ford 9" with 5.14 gears, 28x9 MT slicks. 3000# race ready.
best 1/4: 10.88
best MPH: 120.77
best 60' : 1.552
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 6:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Wink Re: Breaking in cams with Ceramic coated headers

especially if you are running a 671 blower motor.------- i ruined a $600 set of dougs headers. i will use old headers from now on.yes its worth buying a set of $100 cheap headers, to keep from ruining expensive headers.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 6:58 PM
Tech Team

I have seen it damage the coating on headers on engine break-ins B4. Seen many people have this problem. With my last engine build, i used an old set of headers during the break in period,then later on bought a new set of Hooker Ceramic coated headers. I desided not to take the chance because i have seen what it can do, on other peoples headers during break- ins.

1970 Chevelle 383/T-400

1995 Chevy S-10 Super Sport

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.