Team Chevelle banner

My '70 SS396

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  70L34 
#1 ·
Just realizing this is my 20th anniversary with this car, I thought it was due time to finish the 'project' and start enjoying it. My father-in-law passed away suddenly last weekend, and I'm re-evaluating my priorities and wondering why I've sat on so many unfinished projects for so long. No longer!

The brief history: I bought this car as a complete basket case, in my freshman year of college, out of the LA County Recycler newspaper. I paid $2500 for it, which was a heck of a lot of money for an 18 year old in 1997. Over the years I finished a body-off chassis resto, rebuilt the original 396 and 12-bolt rear, swapped the non-original Turbo 400 for a built 2004R, had a high-end paint job done, finished 90% of the interior, and never really touched it again. This picture is from 2006 but the car looks exactly the same today. I think I may have put 15 miles on the car driving it to and from the gas station in its unfinished state.

It could be running in a weekend, but I want to replace the factory A/C (which is incomplete) and I think that entails taking the passenger side fender off. I built this car from age 18-23 and thought it would made a lot of sense (?) to remove the factory air, but I definitely want to replace it now. Any thoughts on a good A/C supplier to piece together a stock appearing AC system?

See less See more
#3 ·
So.....think it will be ready for Woodward? :)

When we're young, we typically think and feel like we have an unlimited number of tomorrows....but we don't. We only have a limited amount of time to do what we chose. The natural aging process and, as Steve alluded to, the passing of loved ones, really emphasizes this some time.

Chevelle looks good and, FWIW, the 18-23 year old period of our lives is typically when we are poorest....financially. So kudos to you for holding on to the car for so long.

Now drive it!

#5 ·
Condolences about your father in law, but I'm glad to hear that you are shifting some attention to the things that are important to you.

But man, that thing is so close! Looks great even being halfway covered up. Gotta get it on the road this summer :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need another set of hands to help out. If you are just down 696 then we are practically next door neighbors. Would force me to get off my lazy butt to check out that old 396 too ;)

#8 ·
OK. I admire you wanting to fix the AC, but I'm going to go against the grain here... Start driving it. Finish it and drive it. The AC will come later, you will only have to pull down the back part of the inner fender well to get the AC suitcase on the firewall. You can finish it! Words of encouragement.. ..

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#9 ·
The paint has probably hardened enough ;) . I know what you mean about thinking we have unlimited tomorrows, until somebody close to you passes away. My niece's fiance passed away unexpected 3 week's ago at the age of 31. We are still in disbelief. I look around at projects I have hanging around and realize that if I don't complete them (old OMC outboards from the 1950s + the Chevelle) there is a good chance they will end up in the dumpster courtesy of my wife.

Tony you are so close to having your Chevelle completed that I predict you will be enjoying it this season. It looks like a nice one, too!

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. I have been so close to selling this car, so many times, but could never quite do it. I'm glad I still own it.

The original dash was hacked for a 1970s 8-track radio, and while I had bought an original radio delete plate for it, I really want to install a factory UM1 8-track. So I bought a pretty nice SS dash but it's green, and needs to be redone. Is there anyone in the MI area who does dash restos, or do I need to make a trip to WI for RealRed70 to do it?

#16 ·
Tony, beautiful car. Being that you and I are the same age, I can relate to "feeling your mortality". My mother has recently been diagnosed with a rare disease called Multiple System Atrophy. She has 7-9 years left, at the high end. It's motivating me to slow down and do the things I enjoy. It's also lit a fire under my wife's butt to loosen up the purse strings a little and approve a Chevelle purchase. I have a car picked out, it's just not finished yet. Sorry for your family's loss. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Again, beautiful car. I love the look of Corvette rally wheels in the 70-72 cars.

#18 ·
OK Detroit Guys: Do any of you/guys from this Forum get together during Woodward? There's a good number of folks from Cleveland that head up that weekend.

#20 ·
OK Detroit Guys: Do any of you/guys from this Forum get together during Woodward? There's a good number of folks from Cleveland that head up that weekend.
Where does the Cleveland crew usually meet up and park?
Sam's Shell at Woodward & Normandy closed up last year (they are building some kind of a market in it's place) and they just demolished the shopping plaza where the Kroger was at 13 & Woodward. Those were the two main spots where you could park and hang out with other car guys over the course of the summer (not just during Dream Cruise). Not sure where everyone will be hanging out this summer but I spend quite a bit of time cruising up and down Woodward so I'll be on the lookout.
M1 Concourse seems to do a lot of cars & coffee and cruise nights and that type of thing, so I have a feeling that is going to become the new go-to gathering spot.

During the Dream Cruise is easy, $40 gets you a spot in Memorial Park for the whole weekend, just have to sign up early before it's full.

I'm with you though, there are enough of us on here from SE Michigan that it would be cool to get the group together.

#19 ·
Nice to hear from all of you guys. Gavin, I'm sorry for your mom but glad you've been inspired to slow down. Dan, I can't even begin to understand what you must be going through but know that your family is in our thoughts.

Tony, it would be great to get a group together on Woodward this year.

#21 ·
Anyone know the difference in driveshaft length between a Turbo 350 equipped '70 and one ordered with a Turbo 400? I was under the car today and it surprised me how far the yoke stuck out of the 2004R tail housing. Ideally it would be about 1.5" deeper into the tailshaft.

Looks like there is enough spline engagement but it doesn't look 'right' and I'd like to fix it with a longer driveshaft if necessary.

#23 ·
:cool: With all respect Finish It Now and drive it. The A/C can be next winter's project, the radio can be a Mental Health Vacation Day project. Just Do It, Get 'er Done. Do Woodward in it.

A very good friend of mine died last weekend from a massive stroke -- he was 10 years younger than me. I will be driving the heck out of my 'Boo this summer just because ...

'Nuff said?

#24 ·
No updates, other than I did sell one of my Camaros (and bought another one, so I guess it's a wash).

I did source a longer driveshaft to resolve the yoke issue I mentioned in an earlier post.

Bruce, point taken....

#26 ·
'70 ss396

Turns out my previous thread is too old to reply to, so here's the follow-up.

I never got the '70 on the road last year but my wife challenged me to get it "rolling" to use as a prop in our family Christmas card this year. So game on, I'm working to get it running this week. My son and I spent most of yesterday afternoon working on the car and boy what a weird sense of nostalgia to be on the creeper under the same car that I had spent countless nights restoring over 20 years ago.

#27 ·
Re: '70 ss396

Turns out my previous thread is too old to reply to, so here's the follow-up...
Actually you can, Tony - scroll down near the bottom of the screen and when you see this:

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 378 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
Check the box before the beginning of the last line.

I will merge this with your original thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.