1970 Chevelle Build opinions - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:34 PM Thread Starter

1970 Chevelle Build opinions

Hi Guys, Im new to this forum and new to restoring. My first project Ive got a 1970 Chevelle malibu 307 automatic.

I have it torn down to the frame currently and Im not sure which way to go for the drive train. Id like to convert to manual tranny and was thinking carburated 383. Something with an aggressive rumbling cam
Ive had some people tell me fuel injection is the way to go...
Im looking for a car i can use for the odd road trip, drive maybe a few times a week. Something practical but yet will throw me back in the seat when i want it. Not something id take to the track

Im open to any opinions as im not very knowlegable with the engine,transmission rear end.
I do have a budget so i dont want to go to crazy

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 17, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Re: 1970 Chevelle Build opinions

If fuel economy is not the object, then a carbureted crate motor is probably fine. But an LS3 (manual trans) or L99 (auto trans) are the way to go, both FI. The L99 mated with the 6L80 that they came with (think Gen5 Camaros) gets pretty decent mileage and also has displacement on demand.

This subject has a lot of variables, but the above is my abbreviated take on it...

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-body-shop/794705-70-malibu-drastic-restomod-14-ss-camaro-donor.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 17, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Oh, and welcome to Chevelles.com. Check out my 70 project - link below.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794705

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Ive been doing lots of research on the LS3 and i think i will do that route. Sounds like they sell everything to make it happen easily! Without having to do any body modifications.
I cannot see the link to your care. Could you please send again?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 2:08 PM
Andy

Garage

The real question is what budget did you have in mind? LS in my option is the way to go for drive-ability however you have a lot of either fitting it yourself or buying ls swap parts. This can add up quick, motor mounts, headers, radiator, engine management... Personally I am going to keep my standard small block and go with a Holley Sniper EFI setup. $1000 for the Holley EFI and $500 for a new EFI tank and its ready to rock and roll. if you got the money though GM performance sells their plug and play packages with a t56 for around 20k!

All I learned in high school is I am not Earnhardt and I am not invincible
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 7:48 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

One piece of advice I'd give you is, decide how you will use the car and taylor it towards that. I had a '67 Dart GT before the Chevelle and I just loved it when I first got it. It only had a 273 in it but I threw some wheels on it and it was a blast. Then I got the great idea that I was going to beef up the motor and get a little more performance out of her so I built a mild 360 and put a 8.75 rear end under her with a set of 3.55's. She was fun for a while but then the headers drug everywhere, she was temper mental and sucked gas like it was going out of style. Bottom line, she was no longer fun, sat in my garage for a few years before I finally sold her.

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 7:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3935 View Post
Thanks for the input! Ive been doing lots of research on the LS3 and i think i will do that route. Sounds like they sell everything to make it happen easily! Without having to do any body modifications.
I cannot see the link to your care. Could you please send again?

The link is part of the signature, just like the bottom of this post - here it is again:

Couldn't tell if you're thinking of the LS3 crate or a pull from some late Camaro. Personally I think the pulls are a better buy, especially if you negotiate for all the parts you think you're going to need.

Be careful about the tranny on those engines, many do require tunnel modification.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.